Sunday, August 31, 2008

Ignorance Is Bliss

Tweet This
When I woke up today and checked the wind it was already onshore at my house. For the non-surfing readers this is bad!. Anyways, I was experiencing destination addiction, putting off happiness till a goal is achieved, i.e. surfing, when Jenny started singing. I mean my phone started ringing (Song ring tones can be confusing). Anyways, it was a surf report with good news. Report: "It's surfable." After surfing, which entailed more paddling that actual surfing, my destination addiction was gone.

Now onto my Mommy duties. I took my youngest son, Noah to the park. We brought his tricycle and my skateboard. I always thought I'd give up skateboarding when I turned 40, but it turns out I was wrong. I got a lot of stares (I'm sort of used to those, but not necessarily comfortable with how stares feel). At one point, Noah was pulling me on his trike with a rope (think water skiing behind a boat urban style), but I kept going too fast, dropping the rope and passing him.

"Mommy I waaaaaaant to tow you," Noah exclaimed in frustration. I heard him say "stooooooooop," as I was half way around the track.

Apparently, childhood and parenthood have the common denominator of trying to get someone to do what you want them to do, when you want them to do it. I was definitely experiencing satisfaction with this realization.

Then there was this dad. He had two kids. A girl maybe around 7ish and a boy around a year, give or take a few months. He kept knocking the boy down, who was already having a lot of trouble walking.

"Oh, what are you getting frustrated," he asked his child mockingly?

Okay I am not 11 months, but who isn't frustrated when learning a new task and someone keeps knocking you down?

Also, he seemed to be training the much older child to dog pile the baby.

I couldn't help but think this is how his father must have treated him. He was just doing what was done to him. It wasn't as if he was a bad person. The tradition, sadly, lives on until he decides to create a new family pattern. This is the goal we all strive for, whether we realize it or not.

Then I had to wonder, what happens when I am not with my own kids and husband? Would I be okay with everything that happens? I decided I am probably better off not knowing everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I doubt your husband would knock down the little one and egg the older one to dog pile him. Maybe that dad thought it would make him tougher as an adult... who knows? But all in all, it seems as if that dad hasn't dealt with a lot of his issues (we ALL have issues) and is taking it out on the cutest most loveable thing around. The psychology of people's actions can be weird. As life can be sometimes.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter