Monday, February 16, 2009

Kelly Slater is Surfing the Wharf!

Tweet This







Thanks to one of my friends I learned Kelly Slater did not make the cut at the 2009 AT&T Pro/Am. Meaning he wouldn't be golfing Sunday. So I thought, maybe he'd be surfing somewhere in town instead.

The wind looked crazy at my house Sunday morning. I figured it wasn't any good any where. We had to be at church at 10 AM and I didn't even bother bringing a camera.

But as we were driving by the beach, I discovered the ocean was clean and surfers were surfing.

"Wah!"

I sent out a few text messages:

"what's up? any slater sightings?

And

"any signs of kelly slater?"

Unfortunately, no one responded back and we had to go into the church, we were already a few minutes late.

At about 10:30, as I was sitting in the church pew, I covertly checked my text messages. I had a new one!!!!!

It read, "He's surfing the wharf as we speak."

Now, I'm in church wishing I wasn't and I mouth to Stefan, "Kelly Slater is surfing the wharf."

He mouths back, "Go."

Thankfully, we had been late and were sitting in the last pew. I easily slipped out unnoticed. Unnoticed by all, except my kids.

"Where's Mommy going?" they ask in unison.

"She'll be back," assures Stefan.

Once outside the church, I immediately tried to connect to my friend via the seaweed wireless network. No answer, so I left a message.

"Is Kelly Slater really surfing the wharf, because the waves looked small when I was driving by the beach?" I ask. "What's he riding, a longboard?"

Even I wasn't excited about watching Kelly Slater ride a longboard.

"Oh well," I thought to myself, "maybe he's riding a twin fin or some other alternative surfboard. Anything would be better than a longboard."

I sent my friend another text message, "really?" and started driving to the wharf.

When I was only a few blocks from the wharf, I finally got a hold of my friend.

"Kelly Slater is not surfing the wharf." she tells me. "I was just kidding. Why would Kelly Slater surf the wharf?"

Right, why would Kelly Slater surf the wharf? The wharf is a beginners surf spot that only breaks when the buoys are 25 feet. The buoys were not 25 feet. Even when the buoys are 25 feet, the waves are still barely shoulder high.

Plus, the water there is always disgustingly dirty in a, "uh oh something just crawled up my sinus cavity and took up permanent residence next door to my brain," kind of way.


I had two goals for the AT&T Pro this year. One was to interview Kelly Slater for the blog. Mission Accomplished!

The other was to see Kelly Slater free surf. FAIL!

9 comments:

Veronica, Collin and Jed said...

So you missed the sermon at church for the possibility of seeing your GOD Kelly Slater. I can see that happening. However it sucks that he really wasn't surfing :(

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Oh well it was funny!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

By the way I was there long enough to listen to both readings. I got a lot out of them.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!

First of all, tell your friend that wasn't funny!!!

Second, you left church?! I'm not criticizing, I probably would've done the same. Maybe saying a few hail marys while driving there.

It's a rainy SoCal Monday for us but glad to be home. Hope you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

awww... church is every sunday, slater is once every couple years, im sure God understands. ;)

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yeah actually I thought it was funny because of all places he wouldn't be surfing, the wharf would be it.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yes I have already contacted Jesus and he said, "you are forgiven my child." Perhaps, I should ask to be healed, as well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Slater's surfing Dune's tomorrow. He's crackin' it!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yeah, really?? Which Dunes?

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter