Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me And Tina Fey

Tweet This

Photo by Christina "Amazing" Riley

"Happy Birthday to me and Tina Fey, Happy Birthday to me and Tina Fey, Hap..Oh hey I didn't hear you come in. You're not gonna believe what happened today, then again if you know me, I suppose you will..."

Today is a reminder why I celebrate my birthday all month long. Yeah, it wasn't the best day of my life, granted things could have been a lot, lot, worse.

I did go surfing. For about 15 minutes. Yes, I said 15 minutes, which is about half the time it takes me to me change into and out of my wetsuit. Sure, I'm slow, but only because I spf before and moisturize after.

Oh, and normally I check 3-5 times to see if I've stowed my car key, in my wetsuit key pocket. And this, Internet, is where my troubles began.

I'm not sure if I had even caught a wave, when I did my key check, pocket pat. To my horror, I did not feel the key bulging, in the pocket. I patted down my leg a little further to find the key rope dangling outside of my wetsuit, without a key.

Then I repeated my key check ritual. in case I had imagined checking for, and not finding my key. Happens all the time. But still no key.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" I wail.

"What's wrong?" asks my Surfing Friend Forever (SFF).

"My car key isn't in my pocket, ahhhhhhhhhhh," I whine.

Thus, begins my panic. It's 10 o'clockish, and I HAVE to pick up Gio by noon. My dilemma: Is my key on the bumper? Locked in the car? Or in the Ocean!

Da Da Da!

I sort of remember checking for my key a few times, or was that yesterday? Wait I didn't surf yesterday. Maybe that was Sunday?

One bad thing about being in the moment is time blends together, and can't be broken down linearly. Read: I can't remember squat.

"So what are you doing for your birthday?" asks SFF.

"Uh, looking for my car key?" I say morosely.

"I'll go in too," she offers. "I have to find Briar. I can give you a ride to get your key." (I <3 her)

I caught a few waves, to help myself feel a bit better, and then I went in search of the key.

Not on the bumper.

"Wah!"

In the car? I hope.....

I borrow Briar's person's phone and get in touch with roadside assistance, explaining "I HAVE to pick up my son by noon."

Road side assistance rocks. Tommy Tow Truck was there in less than 30 minutes, in which I immediately proclaim, "I love you!"

Tommy Tow Truck thought that was hillarious, especially since he hadn't done anything. But he was there promptly and that's not nothing, Internet.

He opened my door in less than one minute. Once in the car, I frantically search for my keys, which were in my pocket, which is so much better than the Ocean.

"Yes!" I cheer.

None of this would have been possible without my SFF's Internet phone! Thanks Dear!

I love Internet Phones and Roadside Assistance, and I want to kiss them both on the mouth, "mwah, mwah!"

I wasn't even late to get Gio. Though I did have a back up plan. I called Gio's school and he was covered to stay for lunch and the afternoon, if necsessary.

But he was expecting me at noon. And honestly, it isn't fun getting lectured by a four-year-old.

Tomorrow: How Your Love made my birthday all better.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Woot, woot!! Most excellent way to write this story. I was feeling the downs and ups of your day and thrilled when I read you found your keys. :)

Again, happy-happy birthday!! *hugs*

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Thank you Heather dear! :D

Unknown said...

GREAT story--sorry you missed out on the surfing--happy you got to pick up Gio on time!

Anonymous said...

You are sweet!

Christina

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter