Monday, October 25, 2010

Two Brothers 50th Memorial

Tweet This


Today marks the 50th anniversary of my mother's fathers death at sea. She has spent the last month gathering old news paper clippings, talking to people, in order to hold a memorial where the boat he was fishing on, crashed and sunk on the rocks of Point Pinos.

I didn't quite understand what she was doing, until I attended the memorial today. It's important to remember where we come from and today reminded me, I am descended from a fisherman.

Salt water runs through my veins. I find it ironic, that I play and find so much pleasure in the same ocean that wreaked tragedy on my family circle, four days before my Mother's 17th birthday.

It's also a sober reminder, that while I may be playing, the ocean plays for keeps.





1 comment:

Eileen Begley said...

Well said, well written!
Eileen

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter