Saturday, October 23, 2010

Proud Mama

Tweet This


Vinny entered his first swim meet today. I had fun! I felt right at home. Everyone was walking around with wet hair, wearing beanies and warm jackets, just like me. That usually only happens at the beach.

I put Vinny on mini swim team, about a month ago with the idea that he would burn off any excess energy that seemed to be getting him into mischief. He enjoys swim practice so much, he made the jump from two days a week, to FOUR days a week. Serious dedication, Internet, since it isn't exactly swimming weather around here, anymore.

The swim meets are optional. But, when I asked him if he wanted to enter one, he said, "sure!"

And I'm positve, his willingness to give up a Saturday morning in bed with books, and video games, had nothing to do with the promise of "prizes" for all who enter the competition. Though the big expensive prize came from us parents, of course.

We bought him one of those long, fleece lined hundred dollar swim jackets at the meet. Yes, we love him, but that's not why we got him the jacket. It's cold in these parts, to cold to swim in my opinion (surfing is different Internet, it's never too cold to surf) so he deserves a little warmth for his suffering.

I'm really proud of him for making a great effort today at the meet.

Also, I look forward to the day, when he no longer gets caught reading WHILE HIS TEACHER IS LECTURING, and when I stop getting calls from school, that my son has been emailing SWEAR WORDS IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE.

Yes, close your eyes and imagine my horror listening to that voice mail from, of all people, the GATE teacher! Ugh. And if I did swear on the blog, today, I would do it in a foreign language.

Oh what the heck, BELZYBOP! I feel better, now. Swear words are healing, and perhaps not all bad.

5 comments:

EndofTired said...

I know he should be paying attention. But seriously, I think we all wish we'd get those calls. "I'm sorry but your son is bored by my yammering about stuff he likely already knows, so he reads and swears in foreign languages." He is likely learning more reading than listening...maybe. Not that that's okay.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

I know what you're saying, but it really does bother me. Respect the teacher, is all I ask. Ok and a few more things.

Anonymous said...

And you said I was a bad influence on my grandson. I swear in Englisj.

EndofTired said...

You certainly have given him an awesome positive outlet for the energy. Hopefully it helps moderate the less-then-desirable stuff. And you are right about the respect.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

:)

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter