Thursday, July 8, 2010

How To Teach Your Kid How To Ride A Bike

Tweet This


Internet, guess who learned how to ride a bike? Gio!!!!!!!!

I remember when I learned to ride a bike without training wheels. Seems like yesterday when my uncle was yelling, "Pedal!!!!!!"

Unfortunately, training wheels don't teach kids, or adults for that matter, how to glide on a bike. Gliding on a bike teaches the rider how to balance the bike naturally, and it is virtually pain-free.

There are fancy glide bikes on the market, for one hundred dollars or more.

Or you can take the pedals off your kid's bike and voila! you have a glide bike. For Free!!!!!!



Kids, naturally glide in between Fred Flintstone pedalling. Extended gliding, can be achieved by simply lifting the feet off the ground.

Gio rode his modified glide bike for about a year, naturally progressing at his own rate. It took him less than 30 minutes, to learn to ride a pedal bike without training wheels, including how to start and brake. As parents, we are impressed. And sad we didn't know about glide bikes for Vinny.

Anyways, I hope this helps out a few parents lost in, "how do I teach my kid how to ride a bike" land.

3 comments:

EndofTired said...

Yay! Geo really is a rock star. Think of all the adventures you all can go on! We hit a local park with a trail, and C is already jumping roots. This from "But I caaaaaaaaaan't!" two months ago! Brilliant idea, BTW. Wish we tried that. We did it the old-fashioned way. It was painful.

Heather said...

He's so adorable! WTG, Geo!

Sara said...

I have a feeling my daughter is going to have training wheels for quite a while. But I can follow your advice for my son!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter