Monday, May 24, 2010

Rock Star

Tweet This




Yesterday, I got second place in the women's division of the 30th Annual Sunshine Freestyle Surfabout.

When Gio saw my trophy he screams, "Can I have it?"

"Sure," I say thinking I have a whole box of them somewhere.

"Forever?" he asks.

"Yep," I say.

No big deal, right?

Wrong.

Today, when it was time for school he asks, "Can I take it to school and show my friends?"

"Uh............are you sure you want to do that?" I ask. "It might get broken."

"I want to take it," he insists.

"Oh, okay," I say, hoping he'll forget it in the car.

I wasn't worried about it getting broken. I was feeling a bit shy, and I didn't want the people at school to think I put him up to it. It isn't like I'm going to go around bragging about second, I was going for first. Not that I would brag about that either.

But he was starting to remind me of my Mom.

Anyways, when we walk into class, and he runs up to a group of his friends, showing off the trophy.

"Wow, you got a trophy!" the kids exclaim.

"No, it's my Mom's!" squeals Gio.

"Cool!" shout the kids.

They were all so excited. It was awesome! Seriously, I felt like a rock star. And who knows maybe some little girl in his class will think, "Hey, I can do that, too."

Besides, I may not always be a hip Surf Mama, in my son's eyes, so I better enjoy it while it lasts. He could care less what place I got. I'm a winner in his book.

When I picked up Gio from school in the afternoon, I over heard one of the kids discussing "the trophy" with his Mom.

"That's his trophy," the Mom tells the kid.

"No, that's his Mom's trophy!" exclaims the kid.

Who knows maybe she'll start surfing, too?

Sometimes, our most important job on the planet, is to be ourselves. Okay, all the time. We don't always get to see how we inspire and impact others, but we do, everyday, all of the time, especially our children.


My prizes, not bad for for 50 minutes of surfing, eh?
There's even a spa treatment in the pile, woot!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

You ARE a rockstar! Congrats!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Oh thanks sweetie <3

Anonymous said...

just to let you know ..... you are also a ROCK STAR in my eyes :) !!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Wow! Thanks! I do have rock star aura colors. I'm just the drug free monogamous version ;)

EndofTired said...

Woot! Hey now...you're a ...ROCK STAR!! You do rock. And you should wallow in your son's adoration of YOU! You're right, it may not last. But with you...it just may.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Hoping for momentary lapses, not permanent ones

Heather said...

You are one awesome rock star of a momma and your kids have every right to be proud of you, lady! :)

Love this photo, too! Simply adorable!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

yeah it wasn't the best technically, but it emotionally it was everything and more. Thanks Mama, so are you!

Anonymous said...

Super Cute!

canada

Marie said...

I am always proud to say my cousin surfs, and she's a girl. You placed second , In my eyes you placed first, A mother of 2 and surfer. You do rock.
No flip flops,

Kim Jay...Everyday said...

I TOLD you - you were a ROCKSTAR! You're bonafide now! What a little cutie. And, what a good example you are to all of us!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Thanks!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter