Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Easy A

Tweet This



Thanks to my recent head trauma I have been watching a lot of movies over the last few weeks. Sadly, I wouldn't say many of them are worth watching, or suggesting them to friends.

But Easy A, starring the dynamic Emma Stone, as Olive, was witty, inspiring and entertaining. I definitely recommend it cause it is laugh out loud funny.

Olive makes up a fake date to get out of going camping with her frenemy. When asked how her date went, instead of telling the truth, that she had a boring weekend at home with her parents, she lies and says she had s3x with the guy.

A bible thumping girl overhears the conversation, and Olive's lie spreads like wildfire across the high school campus. Big surprise.

Instead of denying the rumor, Olive embraces it, and even brandishes the red letter "A," on her slutified clothes, when she returns to school. Hey a girl's got to live up to her reputation.

Not coincidentally Olive's English class happens to be reading the novel the "Scarlett Letter," which partly inspired the film. They were so mean to poor Hester Prynne, almost as mean kids can be in high school.



Olive frequently talks to the camera giving the movie an intimate, YouTube-esque, vlogger (video blogger) feel.

Easy A, pays homage to the 80s flicks I grew up on such as, "The Breakfast Club," "Sixteen Candles," and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," to name a few.

Olive Penderghast: Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life.


But Easy A has a cuter male love interest, than any of those 80s flicks, who walks around campus in various costumes, including studly, blue, body paint.

I. Am. Not. Kidding. Oh and guys, not to worry Olive is hot and not really in high school. I hope.

Easy A is laugh out loud funny, and any movie that makes fun of Tom Cruise is okAy, in my visual viewing world.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I loved Olive's John Hughes monologue! I'm dating myself, I know...

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter