Thursday, June 2, 2011

When Will I See You Again?

Tweet This


The view from my bed. I need a ceiling mural.

Well, it's been a week since I crashed and burned surfing at Carmel Beach last Thursday night. But it feels like forever.

I am feeling better. I still feel headachey. I'm light and sound sensitive. And the worst part, for Hubby anyways, I'm a Crankasaurus.

"You're breathing too loud," I say. "It's hurting my head."

The last time I had a concussion was about 25 years ago. I was skateboarding the Prunetucky drainage ditch, without a helmet.



"Come on Wendy!" shout my friends. "We gotta bail."

"Okay, I'm just going to take one more run," I say.

And by "one more run" I mean I'm going to fall and hit my head, hard.

"We told you it was time to go," say my Friends. "Look at what you've done to yourself."

I had to listen to that for an entire week, till my next ailment kicked in, which I apparently didn't bring on myself.

The concussion gave me a week's worth of headaches. A week later, I woke up with red itchy spots on my chest, headache still lingering on n on n on on n on, the bang didn't stop at the break of dawn.



Immediately, I phone my doctor describing my symptoms.

"You, my dear, have chicken pox," says Doc, giggling.

Not funny.

I had a relatively free blemish free teenhood, but the Bawk Bawk Pox left me scarred for life.

I remember being really sick with the Cluck Cluck Pox. I attributed the lingering headache to my red dotted friends, who had set up camp, all over my pristine skin.

Now, however, I'm not so sure. Maybe the headache from the head trauma lasted weeks, and head nothing to do with the Pox?

I'm left wondering how long this round of brain aches will last. I'm not even sure if it's my brain that hurts. I did land on my entire backside, so the pain could be coming from bruised and strained muscles.

I've been getting some massage, otherwise, my therapy is manic. I'm currently alternating hot and ice cold freezer packs on the front of my neck and chest, to the back of my head, neck and back.

The ice contricts the blood vessels. The heat expands the blood vessels. Alternating between hot and cold, basically increases circulation, pumping out the bad stuff, while bringing in nutrients so my tissues can heal.

It's helping, but not fast enough.

When will I surf again? Will I have to wait forever? Will I have to suffer? And cry the whole night through. Is this my beginning or is this the end? When will I surf again? Hoo-oo- a hoo-oo precious moments.

4 comments:

nana/mama said...

do I remember that. It was Easter. You were a relatively accidentally free child. WHAT-are trying to change that as an adult.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yep, Spring Break with the chicken pox. And summer concussed. Yay me. I'm sure it was the bedrails that kept me safe.... ;)

Anonymous said...

i miss you in the water.
i want you to feel better sooooo bad.

XOXO
Canada

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!! me too.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter