Thursday, May 17, 2012

RIP Donna Summer

Tweet This
This morning I got some sad news.

"Donna Summer died today," texts my Mom. "She had cancer, 63 years old."

I quickly jumped onto to twitter and began reading tweets and clicking links related to Summer's far too early exit. I cried.

Summer was my Elvis. She was my Michael Jackson. She performed live concerts in my bedroom. We sang and danced together. Her live recordings were always my favorite because, of course, I was the audience and she was talking to me.

Though she may be known for moaning and producing sexual ladden disco beats, one of my favorite songs by Summer is a song she wrote for her daughter Mimi. The track starts at 1:30.

A tribute to hard working women everywhere Summer's hit, "She Works Hard For Her Money," was inspired by a maid she met IRL (in real life).

Everyone loves a good rumour........

Being a huge fan of Summer I was ecstatic when "Thank God It's Friday," came out with Summer starring as a singer attempting to perform in a popular dance club (5:30 in the video below.) The video below is a compiilation of Summer's scenes in the movie.

The Queen of Disco may be gone from this Earth, but her music and legacy will live on forever.

No comments:

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter