Sunday, February 13, 2011

Searching for Kelly Slater Part 2

Tweet This

Backside air.


Kelly Slater probably won't be at the beach, but it's such a nice day, who cares if he's there or not," I say.

"Let's go!" says Gio.

"Do you guys want to come?" I ask Hubby and Vinny.

"No," says Vinny.

"Not really," says Hubby.

"There are rocks to climb there," I say in an enticing voice. "It's really nice outside......"

"Okay," says Hubby, giving in to my begging.

The beach was full of cars when we arrived.

"Is anyone surfing? " I ask.

"Yeah, there are five or six guys out," answers Hubby.

We walked down the stairs, and up the beach to the breaking wave. There were seven local surfers out, but definitely not Kelly Slater. Oh well.

Then I noticed someone scampering down the hillside trail looking fit, bald and sponsored.



"Hey that looks like Slater coming down the hill," I say.

"Where?" asks Hubby.

"Over there," I say, pointing. "It is HIM!"

"Gio, there's Kelly Slater, do you still want to take a picture with him?" I ask.

"Yeah!" says Gio.

"Let's go," I say.

And we did!





After a quick picture with Gio, Slater paddles out for an evening glass off session somewhere in the Monterey Bay. I've seen Slater surf in person plenty of times, but never in my home town.



The flash always goes off at the wrong time.

I didn't have my board so I couldn't really paddle out for a session with Slater. But I left my board at home on purpose. I wanted to watch the master on his craft, in hopes that some of his freakish surfing ability would rub off on me.......And I was pretty surfed out from my earlier surf session, anyways........ :)



Slater slaying the barrel.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!

christina

Anonymous said...

Slater is awesome!

Dante Rondo said...

Hey Wendy ! Good follow up story on finding Slater at that lovely Big Sur Beach ! I was there that morning with a load of other local surfers.As well as pros like "Rat -Boy" (Jason Collins) with pro friends. Cool to hear that Slater showed up there in the afternoon ! Ron Triplet said he had fun out there when Slater was out in the line-up ! Cheers , Dante

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Pros with pro friends? Yikes and lol!

Anonymous said...

Lets see some more photos! Nice shots!

Sara said...

I am going to look forward to this every year now, you know! I'm so glad you got to see him!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter