Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Music Within

Tweet This


"This is a pretty good movie so far," says Hubby.

"Yeah, but I thought it was a true story about a musician?" I say.

"Well, there's a lot of music in it," notices my Mom.


"The Music Within," is based on the true story of Richard Pimentel, a vocal advocate for people with disabilities. Pimentel played an integral role in the passage of the Americans Disabilities Act, which passed under the President of George Bush, Sr.

Watching the movie, I realized how prejudice people were against folks with disabilities. In one scene, Pimental and his wheelchair bound buddy Art, stricken with cerebral palsy, are refused service in a restaurant under the Ugly Law. Apparently, the two were making the other restaurant patrons uncomfortable.

What the heck? I also find it hard to believe The Americans With Disabilities Act wasn't passed until freaking 1990!

I highly recommend this witty, compassionate, inspiring movie.

Favorite movie quote by Art: "Does this wheelchair make my butt look big?"

References:

1. The Ugly Law

2. Americans Disabilities Act

3. Richard Pimentel

No comments:

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter