Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pertussis Outbreak California

Tweet This



Yesterday, I received a school email, warning that a student had contracted whooping cough, also known as pertussis.

The email indicated whooping cough is highly contagious, and appears to be a mild cold for the first 7-10 days. After that time the cough worsens, and the person lets out a "whoop" sound when they cough, or they may vomit or choke.


"People get out the buckets and ready the Heimlich!"

And I'm pretty sure one of us already has the makings of whooping cough.

"What's that noise?" asks Hubby.

"It's Luna (Mew Kitten)," I answer. "She's coughing. It just started today."



Here we go, again.

The kids have been vaccinated for whooping cough, but I better check with the pediatrician's office to make sure they're current. And now I'm left wondering, "Am I current on my pertussis vaccination?"

Because when I start typing "pertussis," in my google search bar "pertussis outbreak california," is the second hit that pops up after "pertussis vaccine."

Uh, oh!


"Yeah, that pertussis outbreak has been going on since last year," says Hubby.

Where have I been? Oh, yeah I was a little preoccupied with , , and LICE!


"Do the kids need boosters?" asks Hubby.

"I'm not sure I'll call the doctor's office tomorrow," I say. "It seems the biggest risk is to babies. Anyone who is around an infant should get a pertussis vaccination."

According to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), kids need 5 doses of the pertussis vaccine by kindergarten age (4-6). Then a booster at age 11. Finally, the CDPH recommends boosters for teens and adults. The CDPH teens and adults are less likely to get booster shots, which is one of the reasons for the rise in pertussis, that and people who forgo the vaccination altogether.

I Guess I'm going to need a shot. Ouch!

If you or someone you know has a cough and you're wondering, "is it whooping cough?" click here.

And remember, "cover your cough."

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter