Saturday, February 27, 2010

California Tsunami Advisory

Tweet This

Marina Beach, 2 pm, buoys ringing in @ 16 feet.

Fortunately, I had a book club meeting this morning at 10 a.m., meaning I had to surf early or not at all.

I arrived at the beach a little after 7 a.m.

"The ranger said they're going to close the beach at 10:30 a.m. because of the tsunami," says my BFF Cat Woman (Briar's person).

"Oh good, I'll be done by then," I say.

The surf looked mixed up, a bit high tidey. The buoys, hadn't peaked yet, and were around 10 feet, by then. I wasn't too excited. But when I heard the words "tsunami," and "close the beach," my adrenaline started pumping through my veins.

I had an epic session, in fairly poor surf, because I was pumped. I figured I'd be okay, as long as, I made it back to shore before my Mom heard about the tsunami advisory. Otherwise, I'd be in for a long lecture. Tsunamis freak her out, a bit.

No luck there.

Telephone rings back at my house. Hubby answers.

"Where's Wendy?" asks my Mom.

Before he could answer she piped in, "She's surfing! Do you know when she's coming back? Never mind. Did you hear about the tsunami? I call got a call from the east coast saying there's a tsunami."

"Tsunamis on the east coast don't affect us here on the west coast," says Hubby.

"No, no, no, no," says my Mom in frustration. "My friend said there's a tsunami wave heading towards California from Chile.........So where's Wendy?

"Surfing," says Hubby. "But don't worry if there's a tsunami, then the waves will be perfect and she'll be happy."

"So, anyway, did you see Kim Yuna skate, yet?" asks my Mom. Not waiting for Hubby to answer she went on, "I thought Rachel Flatt was amazing!"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

And I was all worried about you. Haha! You're crazy, girl!

pikaki said...

lol funny blog. i saw those schwacks.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Thanks Jess. Bee I laughed so hard when Stefan told me this story! :D

Sara said...

Great post--funny story! Love it!

mkim said...

Very funny story!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter