Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Tweet This



My book club is currently reading, "The Help," by Kathryn Stockett, a white woman born and raised in Jackson, Mississippi. I mention her race because, the book's narrative is from the perspective of three women, two of which are African American.


The main story goes something like this: Skeeter, the white girl, is an aspiring writer who gets the great idea to write a book of interviews of African American maids, and what it's like working for white women in Mississippi, in the sixties.

Skeeter, enlists the help, a risky undertaking, of two maids, Minny and Aibileen, who provide the other two narratives in the book. I thought the author did a great job relating the maids' point of view. I connected to the characters with my body and mind, heart and soul.

"Wow, White Girl really has this figured out!" I repeatedly thought to myself, while every so often glancing at her photo in the book jacket.


Look at how white she is, y'all!

But then I remembered, "hey, I'm a white girl, what do I know about being an African American maid in the 60s, in Mississippi?"

Zero.

Uh, huh!

I'm sure the writer did a ton of research, but this story touches the heart. It's authentic.

Then I read the after word, titled "Too little, Too late," when I finished the book, and found the answer to my question.

The author herself, had a mother who travelled frequently. As a result, she was primarily raised by her African American maid, Demetrie.

Aha!

It wasn't that Stockett was particularly conscious of racism as a child. It is as an adult, she learned compassion. Through the characters Minny and Aibileen, the author seamlessly time travels, to her past, catching a glimpse of what life must have been like for the woman that raised her, Demetrie, The Maid.

Some critics have accused the white characters in The Help of being inauthentic, but this book WAS NOT written for white folks.............It was written as a forgotten acknowledgement and thank you to the woman that loved, cared for and raised Stockett.

Amen! It's never too late to say, "Thank you."

I can see Demetrie beaming down from heaven, right now, thinking there's more work to be done, on Earth. Everyone in this country must be granted equal protection of the law. It's unconstitutional to offer a majority of people the right to marry, while excluding the minority from marrying......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful review, Wendy! Amen to you!

YSL iPhone 6 Cases said...

Citing sources in Taiwan's integrated circuit industry, DigiTimes reported on Monday that Apple is developing touch and display driver integration single-chip solutions for future iPhones.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter