Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Day of School!

Tweet This



After feeling anxious about the first day of school, all day yesterday, I'm happy to report everything went smoothly.

And we were on time. (Applause!)

I suppose, the threat of visiting the office for tardy slips, was motivation enough for the three of us to be on time.

Vinny was excited to be back in school. I was talking to him, and didn't even realize he had run off, and was standing in front of the fourth grade door, waiting for it to open.

"Don't you want to walk your brother to his first day of kindergarten?" I ask.

"No, you'll do a good job on your own," Vinny assures me.

And off we went to kindergarten. We were greeted cheerily at the door by the teacher, then we quickly found Gio's cubby and unpacked his lunchbox and snack.

"Okay bye Mom," says Gio.

"It's not time for me to go," I say. But he was too busy exploring his new world, to notice I was still there. There wasn't a question in my mind whether or not he was ready for kindergarten. It was as if his whole life culminated around this point.

Come to think of it, my life, the last couple of years, was spent determining how to get him ready for kindergarten. And thank goodness, I had a lot of help from the teaching angels, including Hubby and some of my teacher friends. Thank you <3!

The bell rang, indicating it was time for the parents to leave so the kinder teacher could get down to the ABC's and 123's.

I moseyed over to the parent social for the promise of coffee. I even talked to people in real life. On a lower note, I refused to sign the PTA volunteer list, claiming I prefer to volunteer in the classroom, backed up by my standard, "I'm an unreliable, lazy surfer, you can never count on me."

Though I have to admit the PTA person was so nice and fun, with her blue and yellow aura, if she hadn't given up so easily I would have at least signed the sheet. (Just kidding MK ;) ) Our PTA is part of what makes our school great, I'm just not ready to be part of that greatness.

And on that note, I'm exhausted. Yep the first day of school, is not unlike an ocean wave that picks me up like a rag doll, dragging me across the ocean floor. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow at 5:30am and do it, I say, do it, all over again. :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Way to go, you! You made it!

We have about a week and a half to go before school starts. I fully expect my boys to run into their schools without a second thought about me on their first day.

They're growing up fast!

Sara said...

Congrats on getting Noah to K. Now you have even more time to surf!! I've 3 more years to go!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter