Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fit at 40

Tweet This
I was talking to my friend today. She is younger than I, by about six years.

"We got a Sony Wi Fit, she says joyfully. "It is so fun. Have you heard of it?"

"Sure, like tennis or bowling or something," I say knowingly. "Have you gotten any repetitive stress injuries," I ask?

"No, that is Sony Sport, she says correcting me. It is stuff like yoga, strength training, aerobics."

"My body mass index was 20%, better than my boyfriend's," she says proudly. He's not overweight or anything. His (BMI) was 22%," I think.

Winning counts especially when counting adipose, commonly known as body fat, just ask any woman on the planet.

"I was really horrible in the balance testing, she says losing self esteem by the millisecond. It asked me if I have problems falling down while walking?"

And here is the kicker, "and it said I have the fitness level of a 50 year old," she says in a tone of defeat.

"Fifty," I ask thinking to myself that would be disappointing even for me.

"Forty," she repeats herself.

"Um, I'm forty," I say trying hard not to take it personally, and thinking she must have forgotten my age. All the while, 40, 40, 40, 40 is flashing in my brain.

"I know, she says. Well, if they were talking about your fitness level at forty that would be awesome," she says trying to make up for her former comment. Right?"

It's ok, though, someday she'll be forty, too. And I being the great friend that I am, will be there to comfort her with the wisdom age brings.

Besides, I like being forty. Didn't someone say forty is the new seventeen? As the king of funk, James Browns says, "I Feel Good."

3 comments:

Noah And Kai said...

I didn't know you were 40. Whether you are fit at 40 or not, at least you are funny at 40...

Anonymous said...

Im sure when the wii is rating your fitness age, it's probably rating you based on the "average" american which is usually out of shape, overweight, has the activity level of a caged hamster who doesn't like to use its wheel, who probably thinks theyre fit just cause theyre not a size 14. BUT... what most people don't realize is being fit is a lifestyle, not just a wii play here and there, its working it in to your everyday life. Wendy, you're a fit 40, not a "average" 40, no reason to feel bad, only proud. You rip harder than any other girl I know personally. I hope to be as fit as you when I'm your age! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendybird--it's Nintnedo Wii not Sony--it matters, like the invisible JET. :)

E

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter