Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What is that smell?

Tweet This
For my birthday two years ago I got a front loading washing machine. Obviously, my first choice was a surfboard, but the old washer broke, so I took one for the team. Afterall, the team that could not live without a washing machine.

I like to take my time on purchases, especially big ticket items. I have been known to take years deciding on the right car. With the washer I had hours to make a decision, as I was already behind on the laundry. Does anyone really get caught up on laundry for four people?

I have had some ideas for limiting dirty laundry. If everyone would quit wearing clothes there wouldn't be any dirty laundry. I know this isn't a practical solution for most climates, but I would consider moving, to make this option work. And I am totally open to loin cloths and fig leaves.

A second option I have thought of is covering clothing with a layer of protective plastic, not unlike the protective plastic found on furniture and other junk. The only problem I see with this option is the sound. After all, plastic is noisy and there would be no more sneaking up on people and saying, "surprise!"

To make a long story slightly shorter, I chose the four times more expensive front loading option. I am a proponent of quality and I am willing to pay more for it. Here in lies the problem. Yes, front loaders use much less water, so I can feel good about saving the planet. But remember the saying, the road to the place no one wants to go is paved with good intentions?

So approximately 1 year and 4 months later my washer smells like a raging sewer. Although I couldn't specifically place the stink until last night.

My Mom, current theme song It Happens, does laundry at my house while she babysits. And every week all I hear is, "the laundry smells after I wash it. The washer isn't very good. I don't like it."

OK, did I mention a front loader cost 4 times more than a top loader? So these words are like fingernails scraping a chalkboard to my ears.

However, I found when I used enough fabric softener with matching laundry detergent the clothes smelled OK, I think. Call me, the Chemist. I like experimenting.

I found ways to deal with the stink. I removed the clothes immediately from the washer, thanks to the advice of the Cleaning Goddess. I also discovered if I left the washer door open between loads, the washer didn't stink, but guess what, the garage did?

We basically decided the garage smell was probably coming from a few dead mice, as the skunk smell (future blog stay tuned) had almost completely dissipated.

And here is the epiphany moment folks! (Hold on to your Socks)

The Cleaning Goddess, left me a message on my answering machine, which I got two days later because I rarely feel compelled to check my messages on this relic.(People call me on my cell phone, please. Did I mention my Mom can't understand me on my cell phone? At least that was free! And I am learning to talk slower.)

"My neighbor got a new washer and they told her the washer needs to be drained once a month," the Cleaning Goddess said with concern.

"You can drain it yourself if there is a drain plug in the front. If there isn't a drain plug you have to have the washer serviced once a month. I hope you have a drain plug," the Cleaning Goddess said with compassion that knows no bounds.

"If you don't clean it, it smells. Wendy I think that is why your clothes smell," click.

Upon hearing this alarming message, I did a little research on the Internet. Leaving the door open, turns out, is a good thing because it allows the water left in the bottom of the basin to evaporate. Yay.

The ehow article also recommended cleaning the rubber door seal, as stinky water can get trapped under the seal. I ran to the washer with baby wipes in hand.

I peeled back the rubber door seal, I saw something and it wasn't stinky water. It was dark and wet and there were two of them.

"Are those dead mice in there," I thought out loud in dismay.

Bravely, I reached under the seal with only a baby wipe between my hand and the critters.

I pulled out two socks. Two sewer entrenched socks. One was mine and I liked it.

When I thought about washing it I could hear the Cleaning Goddess's voice in my head saying, "you will never get that sewer smell out of the washer, throw the socks away, now."

I complied. I have found it is much easier to listen to this inner voice immediately than to ignore it and find out the hard way.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

did i mention you are hilarious!
you go girl!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

LOL... First of all, how in this world of technology is something that's supposed to clean things need cleaning? I've never heard of a washing machine needing cleaning... (maybe it's because I am underpriveleged and never been able to own one). Like, ovens clean themselves, and so do showers (scrubbin' bubbles), why cant they just put a "clean itself" cycle on that knob. Eeew, and you had to touch the sewage socks?? Gross, where was Jesus when all this was going on?

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter