Sunday, September 7, 2008

Road trip

Tweet This
5 a.m. "Woof, woof," barks Nadia the Dog. Alarmed by the barking, Stefan gets up to investigate.

"Dan is that you," asks Stefan? (Dan is my brother. This may confuse some people, since many, many people think I am an only child. However, I am very creative and have made him my brother in 2 simple steps. Step 1 he was adopted. Step 2 my Mom always says she thinks my Dad had another kid. Step 1 + Step 2= My brother, Dan.)

"Yeah, the door is locked, dude," Dan replies.

All the while, I am groggily processing the conversation from my bed, thinking was he here when we were up partying late last night in the bedroom? How loud was I? What time is it? Unbeknown to me, I am operating (sort of ) on four hours of sleep.

"What time is it," I ask as Stefan enters the bedroom?

"Five," he answers.

We were supposed to be leaving.

"Was Dan here, when we were, you know," I ask sheepishly?

"No," he says relieved by his own answer.

"Whew," I exhale in relief.

6 a.m. Stefan strapped my girl crush on the surf racks, as it was far too large to sit inside the car, and we were off to see Sugarland.


6:45ish
We both required a bathroom break so we hit McDonald's. Stefan got an egg Mc-something-or-other. "How can he be hungry we just ate forty-five minutes ago," I asked myself?

7 am-11am
Lots of uninterrupted conversation on everything, except politics due to my refusal to discuss them resulting in Stefan's disappointment. The boys were back at home with my Mom or Dan or some combination of what I call tag team babysitting.

Talking does wonders for a relationship.

Oh there were a few cell interruptions entailing "what's the surf like,"?

Yes, I know I don't have to answer my phone, but I was also wondering what the waves were doing? After all, I was giving up two days of surfing to go see Sugarland. People, who don't surf don't understand this about me, they just get to a point of acceptance. I highly recommend this route since I don't plan on changing, ever.

11:15
Fill up gas tank. Stefan is eating a corn dog.

"He is eating, again," not fair flashing in my mind?!

At this point, I am starving and concluding his hunger is contagious. Since, we are at some type of mini-mart I refuse to eat. But not because I have high standards when it comes to food. Rather, I would be sick and I didn't want to risk my Sugarland concert experience for some food made in a chemistry lab, rather than a kitchen.

Back on the road and roughly 5 hours into the trip I say, "this is crazy and a long way to go for a concert. I am not even sure I like concerts?"

"It is crazy, but I love you, and you went to World Cup (soccer) with me," he responded. Sometimes, you pick crazy things and sometimes I do. We take turns."

I admit I was baffled about his World Cup comment. Did he consider my attendance to World Cup Soccer a favor? How silly is that considering my first sporting event ever was something as amazing as World Cup Soccer (1994)? Many citizens of the United States don't get how great World Cup is, but the momentous event wasn't lost on me.

Then I remembered how much the tickets cost for two games and thought to myself, "yeah, that was a little crazy."

12 p.m.
We arrive at the Sheraton Fairplex in Pomona, CA as Sugarland is playing at the Los Angeles County Fair. The fair entrance is a 30 second walk from the hotel.

"Yay," I say in my best sing-song voice. (Thanks Dan for calling that one.)

The hotel check-in lady informs us there aren't any clean rooms available yet.

"Come back at 3," she says.

I immediately start whining. I am starving and my manner's filter is practically non-existent. I apologize for my low blood sugar behavior and we go out for Mexican food.

2 p.m.
Stefan drops me off in front of the hotel as I repeat the affirmation, "yes, of course, we have a room ready for you," all the way to the front desk.

2:15
Positive affirmation is a complete success and we are in our hotel room. Stefan plops himself onto the sofa with the remote and turns on the T.V. because he can. When I am home we limit the boys' TV time to 30 minutes a day, if that. I am not sure what happens when I am not home and I don't want to know (Ignorance is Bliss)

2:30
Since I was missing out on surfing, the plan was to substitute in swimming. We were excitedly walking to the pool until we saw it.

"It's murky," I say in disgust.

"Come on it is just like the ocean," Stefan pleading his case.

"There are waves in the ocean. There are no waves in the pool," I say firmly holding my ground.

"Maybe it's sunscreen," he offers hopefully. "Or maybe it is pee," he resigns.

No way, was I risking my Sugarland experience for that pool.

2:40
I took a meditation nap by the pool. Stefan regretted not bringing a book and settled for reading a deck of playing cards with Yosemite factoids and photos on them.

3:40
Back in the room, and now I am watching TV because I can.

6 p.m.
Arrive at fair.

"I feel like I'm in a sea of people," I say hu-ing under my breath.

"You are," he says as he parts the sea.

6:45 p.m.
Split a burger. It's hot and neither of us are very hungry.

7:15
Look for something to drink that doesn't cost $4.

7:20
Buy $4 dollar beverage. I am talking water. One bottle. OK, it was $3.50, plus tip = $4.

7:25
Trying to figure out where gate to concert is.

"I hear Jennifer Nettles singing (half of Sugarland dynamic duo)," I say

"Yeah, it's the third song," he says

"What, I didn't hear any songs"? "Are we missing the concert because you didn't want to pay $4 for a drink?"

We check the time on the tickets, which say 8 p.m. Desperate, I let go of Stefan's hand and start walk-running to the gate, beating myself up for missing whatever I was missing.

7:30
Find gate. Walk slowly in herd formation with fellow concert goers, none of whom are concerned in the least bit about missing the sound check, to concert arena from the backside of stage. I can hear Jenny's voice, but I can't see that far.

"They are just playing snippets of songs for the sound check Stefan assures me. She isn't on stage."

I decide to believe him so I can, at least, feel better.

7:50
Get inside gate. Buy tee shirt. Sit down. Only the sound check crew is on stage, Jenny's voice has been replaced by ads for the remaining fair concerts, including KC and the Sunshine Band with the Village People, Jessica Simpson, and the Doobie Brothers.


7:55-8:24
People watch. Notice everyone else seems to have brought their girl crush along, as well as, their husband or boyfriend. I am in good company. See three cowboys. They are an anomaly in the crowd adding to my suspicion that Sugarland isn't really a country band, after all.

8:25
Concert starting

To be continued................................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did i mention you are hilarious?!?!
keep writing, you rawk gurl!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter