Saturday, September 20, 2008

Surf Mom

Tweet This
I was totally confused by Sarah Palin's claim (Click link to observe Kelly Slater "claiming," a win) of hockey mom, thinking she was a hockey playing Mom. Thanks to my friend Daniel's expalination, my confusion is gone.

"Sarah Palin plays hockey," I say feeling a connection since I sort of played roller hockey in another life.

"No, she doesn't," says Dan.

"Yeah, I read that she is a hockey Mom, that means she plays hockey," I say.

"No, it means her kids play hockey," says Dan growing impatient.

"What?" I say totally confused thinking I am a surf Mom because I surf, not because I watch my kids surf or drive them to the beach. My thinking went on to include skateboarding Mom, twist bike Mom, bicycling Mom because those are things I actually do with my kids. Not, watch my kids do.

"So hockey Mom means her kids play hockey, I say repeating the definition to make sure I got it right. Am I supposed to be impressed with that?"

"It's her way of connecting with the people, he says to me. She's showing she is like everyone else."

Growing up my Mom was a single working mother. She was also a softball and tennis Mom. The highlight of all my sports endeavors was seeing her face in the crowd. Even though she ran her own business she only missed a few of my games. Thanks Mom! And now she has finally come to a place of acceptance of the title, surf Mom.

Curiously, Palin is the first parent I have heard claim "hockey Mom," let alone say it outloud in a "hey world look at me, I'm great," voice. So far to date, in my parenting career I haven't run into any Moms or Dads, for that matter, who claim the title soccer Mom, track Dad, water polo Mom, drama Mama. Turns out we all just do it. Plus, the pay off is, as American Express says, priceless.

Even the parents who coach the teams or head the PTA or take on room Mom or Dad titles, never say, "hey world look at me, I'm great!" and believe me they should.

Call me surf Mom, skatebaording Mom, call me anything but, room Mom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duh, you're not a "noun" mom, but you are a "verb" mom. Being a "noun" mom just implies you drive an SUV and haul your cargo (kids and equipment alike) to the destination where you help set up (if even that) and not participate. Since you are a "verb" mom, whenever you label yourself to a stranger, make sure you say.. "I am a SURFING mom" then they'll know you surf, and wow, you have kids too! Rock on surf chick mama!

Anonymous said...

Hey I vote for you to be PTA mom...and you can help me with the blended quotes I need to teach.
Hitting 40 is a milestone...but wait till 50. You'll find all your friends talk about their aches snd pains while you try and survive in a happy peaceful place in the universe. Peace and smiles be with you and the clan

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter