Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Kimchee RefrigeratorTM

Tweet This
My friend, who is half Korean, brought me some homemade kimchee, fermented, spicy cabbage.

"Smell it, it stinks," she coaxed. "It tastes good, and it's good for digestion."

"So it tastes good, but it stinks?" I ask. Now I am wondering, one, how does something stink and taste good, and two, is she really my friend? I have friend issues after all, and they were starting to get triggered.

"Open it!" she says excitedly.

"Okay," I say reluctantly.

Oh wait, first I have to mention the kimchee refrigerator.

"Oh yeah, the kimchee will stink up your refrigerator," she says. "My Mom has a kimchee refrigerator. When she puts eggs in the kimchee refrigerator, the eggs taste like kimchee."

"So, the kimchee refrigerator is a small fridge just for kimchee?" asks Stefan for clarification.

"No, it's big!" she says pointing to our standard size fridge, laughing.

"Oh, so is kimchee refrigerator some sort of brand?" asks Stefan.

I can see she is going to be a very expensive friend since I need to purchase a special Kimchee RefrigeratorTM to store my precious kimchee, a common side dish served with Korean meals. Although, if I don't mind all of my food tasting like kimchee, I suppose I won't need to buy the Kimchee RefrigeratorTM .

"Go ahead, smell it," she says in an urgent tone.

I open the kimchee, holding my breath, then I dive in for a big whiff.

"It smells like garlic," I say relieved since I happen to like garlic. When the wind is offshore at my house (in surfing this is good) I can smell garlic in the air.

"Let me smell," she insists implying something must be wrong.

"Yeah, it stinks," she says relieved.

"Whatever," I say sprinkling kimchee (spiced with red chilli pepper) over my rice. "It tastes good."

2 comments:

ribrosu said...

Hey Wendy. Ken here. Although it's Korean, we Japanese eat Kimchee too. There are lots of Korean restaurants in Santa Clara and the one I go to have a kimchee hot pot. They call it Kimchee Chigae and it's really good. When you come up and visit, let me know so that I can recommend a few great restaurants.

Anonymous said...

LOLOL If the kimchee didn't stink out of the jar, then you must have at least tortured your family in the aftermath (:::the burp:::).

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter