Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Localism Sucks

Tweet This


The waves were pretty good today. Enough waves for everyone and then some.

This surfer was bummed to have his session end with, NOT one, BUT TWO flat tires. Does any car have two spare tires???? NO!

His tires were flattened by a fellow surfer for some lame reason. Because there isn't a good reason to let the air out of some one's tires, ever.

"Wow, that's really lame," I say.

"Yeah," says the surfer.

"Why would someone flatten your tires?" I ask.

"I dropped in on a guy out there," he admits.
(Dropped in: means to cut off surfer who has the right of way.)

"Did you apologize?" I quiz trying to make sense of the lash out.

"Yeah, I did," he says.

Like I tell my kids to use their words, surfers need to use their words to work out their differences, instead of resorting to physical violence. Surfers play on one of the best playgrounds ever created, maybe it's time we all learn to share and take turns.

If surfers can't get along what hope is there for the rest of the world?

3 comments:

Stefan said...

Geez! Sucks for sure...

pikaki said...

grumpy surfers just aren't grumpy surfers, that grumpiness usually carries over into their every day life. like, seriously that person who popped that guys tires is a coward... he shoulda went up to that guy and duked out his problem right then and there face to face, but hes probably a small guy who couldn't kick anyones butt and I also wouldnt doubt that he is afraid of black people.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Pikaki while some of what you said MAY BE TRUE I encourage people to use their words. Hands are for waving not hitting.

Oh and the tires WERE NOT popped. The air was let out of the tires.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter