Monday, October 19, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are

Tweet This



Watching the movie, "Where The Wild Things Are," is not where my kids will be found.

Internet, this is not a review of the movie based on the children's book with the same title by Maurice Sendak. But rather an explanation, of why I'm not taking my kids to see, "Where The Wild Things Are."

The book is a terrific, wildly popular, kids' book. The way I see it is, the movie was made for grown ups who loved the book as children. "Wild Things," isn't for MY kids, wild as they may be.

How do I know this, if I haven't seen the movie? Is it because I'm psychic? Well, it started with that. I could tell from the previews it might not be appropriate for MY kids.

Then there's the PG rating. PG stands for parental guidance, which means if I take MY kids to this movie, there will be some, "'splaining to do Lucy!"

Next, there's my movie scout, who has actually seen "Where The Wild Things Are." Here's what he had to say about his movie experience. (Oh and he doesn't have kids.)

"Children were crying the entire time, totally surreal. Kids were taken out constantly, but some kids were stuck there with stupid parents."


He loves the movie (and the book). His review sealed the deal for me, "no kids." After all, there are lots of great movies out there, that are inappropriate for MY kids.

"So, "Where The Wild Things Are," is a kids' book, but not a kids' movie?" asks Vinny in dismay.

5 comments:

EndofTired said...

Thank you for putting that in perspective! I think Vinny is on to a deeper question, though. Unfortunately, the person who made the movie is a grown up...not a kid...or things would probably be different.

Erin said...

Yeah, I would agree with you! I saw it, liked it, but I think most kids would find it boring. I found some deper meaning in it for myself, but I don't think it's a life changer. However, that little kid that plays Max is amazing, and the soundtrack is great!

Anonymous said...

It's a trippers movie...

from the Man Child

Sara said...

Good to know....

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Here's a very thorough run down of the movie http://www.pluggedin.com/en/movies/InTheaters/WheretheWildThingsAre.aspx

Thanks to http://twitter.com/Virtuallllmom for the link

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter