Thursday, May 26, 2011

Concussion

Tweet This
Oh, Internet, I hit my head surfing and it hurts.

"Ouch!"

You can say that again.

"Owwwww!"

Exactly.

When I came up a surfer said, "Are you okay? You look like you got your bell rung."

"Yeah, I'm going in," I say, but it took me 15 minutes or so to do that.



I was doing a seemingly routine duck dive, that went seriously wrong. On a successful duck dive I would make it under the wave and come through the other side, but instead I got sucked over the falls upside down.

Think going over a waterfall upside down. Usually this isn't a problem, but apparently I was in shallow water, going backwards over the falls, on probably a head high wave, when the back of my head hit the sandy bottom.

Sand is hard y'all.

After asking me a series of questions, The Doc says, "At the very least you have a concussion, which basically feels like a migraine."

"Yeah, that's exactly how it feels," I say. "So, do you think I'll be able to surf in a contest this weekend?"

"Oh, definitely not," says The Doc.

"So, I should stay out of the water a week?" I ask.

"At the very least," says The Doc. "If your symptoms worsen, go to the emergency immediately.

If anyone needs me I'll be cuddling me with my ice pack, hopefully not in the emergency room.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get better real soon!

belinda said...

gnarly call me if you need anything

Anonymous said...

that is scary for sure. The inside was definitely kinda heavy yesterday.... so i can only image what going over and getting slammed would feel like.

Hope you get better fast. I am also here if you need anything!

Canada 1.0

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you didn't look quite right. I didn't have the presence of mind to check for dilated pupils, but you looked kind of shocky. Glad to hear you went to the doc. Surf forecast for weekend looks like more of the same...so maybe giving it a pass is a win-win.
MK

Mike Kim said...

Wow. Scary stuff. I just read your post about the emergency room visit. Good to hear that things are okay although I'm sure your still in pain. Get well soon!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter