Monday, July 11, 2011

How I Met Your Mother

Tweet This



19 Years Ago, Today.

There was this really cute guy sitting across from me in traffic school. Every chance I got I would stare at him, which was every time the instructor walked in front or stood near him, so I wouldn't be obvious.

I could see him staring back at me, out of the corner of my eye. I totally thought he was going to talk to me at break, but he didn't.

Same thing for lunch. But at the end of the day, when class was over, and I was walking to my car, he finally spoke to me

"Do you think it's going to rain?" he asks.

"Not really, since there isn't a cloud in the sky," I say.

People have said stranger things to me. Besides, he was REALLY cute. We continued to chat as he walked me to my car. We asked each other important questions.

"Do you surf?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm just starting," he answers.

And like every woman I tell myself, "okay then this guy definitely has potential."

Do you have a boyfriend," he asks.

"Yes, but I'm sort of codependent," I answer.

And like every man, he tells himself, "I have a chance."


When he asks for my number, I hand him my business card, and we say goodbye.

One day passes, no phone call. Second day passes, same thing.

But when I got to work on Monday there were a dozen red roses waiting for me, with a note asking, "How co-dependent are you?"

Nineteen years later, our partnership is stronger and better than ever. We may stumble through life at times, but at least we are stumbling together.

He's patient with me. Who knows, someday his patience might even rub off on me. If he's lucky.

Sometimes, it seems like we met yesterday. At the same time it feels like we've known each other fifty life times.

Our relationship isn't always easy. But it isn't always hard either. Early on, we both learned a relationship is a work in progress. Good thing we're hard workers.

I wouldn't want to DO IT, and all "IT" entails, with anyone else.

I love you Honey ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

8 comments:

Heather said...

Happy anniversary!! :)

nana/mama said...

How well I remember your description of this cute young man. He is IN the Army and he is a REPUBLICAN!! Oh my, were my thoughts.

Marie said...

I enjoy this story every time I hear it. What a good day for you to have gone to traffic school.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

It's a fun story to tell. Yeah, the army /repub thing was challenging!

Sara said...

Sweet! What a great story!

nana/mama/ said...

There is more to the story. You must tell how you ended up in traffic school.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! 19 years is SO long!

You guys are a site for sore eyes!

Christina

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

There's always more to the story.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter