Thursday, February 26, 2009

"Legalize It" Gone Viral

Tweet This




About a month ago I asked myself, "is it just me, or is legalize it about to go viral?"

It all started with a conversation a month before I posed my question. My friend and I were talking about mary jane, reefer madness, da kine, sensimillia, pot, herb......Get the point?

"They should just legalize pot," he tells me. "It would solve a lot of problems with the economy because the government could tax it."

"Um, did you come up with that on your own, or is that true?" I ask.

He didn't really have an answer. But after our conversation I began to notice legalize it type stories popping up every other day or so. And I wasn't even watching Weeds.


In fact, ending the marijuana prohibition was the most popular "idea" on President Obama's change.gov website, garnering over 92,000 votes. The next closest popular idea had approximately 70,000 votes. Hmmmmm?

Then I came across the videos I've embedded on today's blog. The momentum was building throughout the Internet, like an Alaskan swell brewing waves that eventually light up the California coast with buds, oops!, I mean barrels.

"Yes we cannabis!"

Yes, that was a joke, but it's also a blog, "Yes We Cannabis!" Crazy bloggers. Wait, that would include me, wouldn't it? Oh, well.

Then I saw a news video about how the marijuana industry is a multi billion dollar industry. And many billions of dollars are spent battling pot smokers every year. Couldn't those billions of dollars go towards drug education amongst other positive endeavors?

"Yes, it could!"

"Hmmmm?" I thought to myself, "maybe my friend is right."

Then, Michael Phelps, the Olympic gold medalist swimmer got caught with a bong in his hands. And he admits to smoking reefer. For the record, I thought the person who took the picture and posted it was a donkey, but now I realize that person was just a messenger of sorts.

The only people who thought Phelps' bong photo was a problem were the folks at Kellogg, and probably only because they were concerned for their own image and covering their butt. Fail!

Even the sheriff didn't care much saying he wouldn't be prosecuting any of the bongers due to lack of evidence.

And we thought Phelps was bringing home a box of gold medals. He was bringing it home all right. He could be one of the final nails in the coffin for the prohibition on marijuana, at least in California. Besides, it isn't as if pot makes anyone swim faster, it just makes them think they are swimming faster.

"Duuuuuude!" says Jeff Spicoli.

Tonight I came across a story that California State Assemblyman Tom Ammiano introduced The Marijuana Control, regulation and education act (AB 390). In other words, "legalize it," is only a matter of time, just like gay marriage.

But they better hurry up and legalize it before all the MILFs in Mendocino County end up in jail and their kids in foster homes.

And perhaps we should be on alert, in the event that conservative right wing churches start sending money from out of state, as well as their evangelical leaders, to stop the rising tide against maurijuana prohibition. Separation of church and state has left the building, hopefully it's a temporary absence.

"Those liberal, avocado eatin' Californians are crazy," yells someone in Minnesota.

"Yes, we are!" I cheer. "Thank goodness."

Trust me in 20 years, people won't care what anyone else is smokin' or who they are smoking it with. Change happens.

Now where did I put my hammer and nail?




famous pot smoking folks

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't smoke it but I think they should leagalize it and tax it. While they are at it, I think they should leagalize prostitution. It could be taxed to provide SS benefits for the workers when they are older (provided it still exists), health insurance, and mostly make it a safer profession. It might help to get rid of the abusive johns and may take some of the drug component out of it.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yeah, I don't smoke or otherwise ingest it either, but I agree with you, Mary. Amen on legalizing prostitution, then maybe they would quit calling themselves masseuses. People like you would be helpful in politics. Thanks for your great commentary.

Unknown said...

Your welcome! Love your blog Wendy.

Anonymous said...

They should legalize it, and tax it. People are going to use it whether or not its legal... so the government mine as well take more money from the drugies than the hardworking american family (no offense to the real sick people). I know for a fact (from personal experience) that a large percentage of those foolz holding med cards don't need it for medicine. A lot of them are sitting around the house, collecting disability, unemployed, and that sh*t keeps them there longer than they need to be. It will be just like alchohol, sleeping pills, or weight loss drugs, people are going to do those things for whatever means they tell themselves is necessary. Legalize it and tax the crap out of it.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Drug education at a young age would be helpful wouldn't? Drug education about how drugs can really ruin life, not just an egg frying in a pan. Plus, many people who are addicts could be taught to have healthy addictions like exercise and gardening, etc.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter