Friday, February 27, 2009

And the Oscar goes to MILK, Sean Penn and Dustin Lance Black

Tweet This


I totally missed the Oscars, because, as I tweeted:

wendysurf: We were planning on a little somethin' somethin' followed by the Oscars, but someone forgot to push the Tivo button. Fail.


Thank goodness for the Internet, where everything that matters and doesn't matter, is.

I thought these two speeches from the winners of "Milk" were the most touching and thought provoking, though I can't say I watched all the Oscars. The top video is the acceptance speech of Dustin Lance Black for best original screenplay for "Milk."

I thought Dustin Lance Black offered a genuine perspective on what it feels like to be a disenfranchised citizen of this great nation, which is still a work in progress, I hope.

Here's what Dustin Lance Black had to say during his acceptance speech:
The story of Harvey Milk gave me hope that one day I could live my life openly as who I am. Maybe I could even fall in love and one day get married.

I think he'd (Harvey Milk) would want me to say to all of the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told that they are less than by their churches, or by the government, or by their families, that you are beautiful........No matter what anyone tells you. God does love you and that very soon I promise you, you will have rights federally across this great nation of ours."



Of course, Sean Penn's "commie homo loving sons of guns," acceptance speech for Best Actor in a film (Milk) is worth watching, too.

Is it me or were many of Hollywood's elite on the verge of tears at the Oscars?

The California Supreme Court is going to hear oral arguments on Prop H8 on March 5Th. That's less than a week. Although, the court will not arrive at a decision for several months.

No comments:

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter