Saturday, October 11, 2008

Meat Versus Meatless

Tweet This
The New York Times ran an opinion piece endorsing California's ballot Proposition 2. The proposition, "would prohibit the confinement of certain farm animals in a manner that does not allow them to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs." A being is a being no matter how small, large or fury.

If prop 2 passes, farmers have until the 2015 to comply with the new regulations which would apply to pregnant pigs, egg laying hens and calves raised for veal consumption. Although the bill is hardly timely, if passed, it will make a statement regarding voters' sentiments on the humane treatment of all beings.

Maybe I can find a way to become a vegetarian. I have thought about it more than once after reading about PETA's uncovering of horrific abuse at an Iowa sow farm in September. In fact, I think I used to be a vegetarian in another life. If I become a vegetarian maybe I can make sexy videos for PETA like Alicia Silverstone. And no I'm not making fun of her. Personally, I think she is inspiring. Kudos to all the vegetarians or anyone at least buying buying organic. I can hear planetary consciousness raising right now. Om.

Alicia Silverstone’s Sexy Veggie PSA
Order a FREE vegetarian starter kit at GoVeg.com


Of course, I'm not sure I can pull off vegetarianism, nor am I preaching that anyone else should. And to be fair I want to include both sides, meat and meatless. Here is the video response to Alicia Silverstone's PETA video. Warning the follow up video is graphic in nature and isn't intended for the eyes of the squemish or vegetarians/vegan. The deadline in California to register to vote is October 20th.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going vegetarian? I dunno, I don't think carrots and celery will give you the extra energy to paddle into that double overhead wave, even if you had your man gloves on.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yes it would be a problem since I cannot ingest soy products. I could just lay in bed all day, but I hear that is hard on the lower back.

Anonymous said...

i like my meat.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

The nice part about being on this planet is we have lots of choices. Different strokes for different folks. It's all good.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter