Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sugarland Concert

Tweet This
Lights fade to black as country duo Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush of Sugarland take the stage, singing, what I consider to be the title track, "Love,", off their third album "Love On The Inside." Only the duo are illuminated throughout the U2esque "Love."

Although I am having a hard time choosing a favorite song from "Love on the Inside," "Love," might be my favorite song on the album. I am immediately experiencing erector pilli muscular contractions, goose bumps, when "Love," starts.

When Bush sings, "is it making you laugh? Is it letting you cry," I silently thank the husband angels for Stefan. I know I can count on him to make me laugh, especially when I'm mad. And when I cry he always pulls me in for a hug.

Songwriting, songwriting, songwriting. Songwriting people can connect to emotionally is the key to great music and Nettles and Bush are among the best in my 100% biased opinion.

Lights blast on for the upbeat, no compromising "Settlin'," track. "Change her mind, and change the world," a line glorifying girl power and taking charge of destiny. This song could be an anthem for girls coming of age.

"We run," the third song, celebrates the excitement of young love and the thrill of being in the moment with a wide open heart. The challenge being, having an open heart once the heart has been cracked wide open.

"Baby Girl," a tribute to anyone trying to "make it big" and still stay true to themselves and their roots.

Next is one of my favorites, (Pshh) "It happens." "Now it's poor me, why me, oh me. Boring the same old worn out, blah, blah, story. There is no good explanation for it at all........Let go laughin'," Nettles raps it out.

"Want To" was the next song of the concert and all I have to say is I wish they would play "What I'd Give." The song is sexy, sultry and most of all it would have made the concert nearly three minutes longer.

Next on tap is an abbreviated version of "Night Swimming," an R.E.M. cover song . Okay folks, what country band does a cover of R.E.M.? Could there be an album of another genre in this band's future? I hope so.

On "Joey," Nettles plays guitar, with mourning and regret on her face, looking up towards heaven convincingly singing to someone other than the audience.

Broadway can only hope, someday, Nettles will grace it with her rock star presence. (Hint for Nettles pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease play Elphaba, the green witch from Oz, somewhere, anywhere.)

"Already Gone" is a song 'bout a girl ready to grow up too quickly, falls in love and falls out of love by the end. If you are one of those girls who moves too fast, this song's for you." Bush plays mandolin on "Already Gone."

"That last song was a sad love song," says Nettles. "We think this next one is a funny one. This next song is my proposal to Mr. Steve Earle." Nettles is plain silly and thoroughly entertaining complete with animated facial expressions and mike tapping, "is this thing on?"

The drum beat mimicking a heart beat, the band joins in a loose circle for the southern gospel inspired "Genivieve." The keyboardist switches to an accordion. Even the drummer joins the circle, bringing down a snare and a symbol.

Refreshingly, Bush and Nettles, interact a lot with the band, giving the concert a hometown family feel.

"We have a big surprise for you," Nettles says.

I start jumping up and down in my seat. "A surprise!" I squeal. "Oh my gosh, Little Big Town is here."

Turns out I was wrong. Bush goes backstage and comes out with a guitar, he passes to Nettles, to autograph. She emblazons it with a heart with wings (cover of the third album and her tattoo).




In my head I hear Nettles singing, "Now he's yelling 'bout my tattoos. We all live with the scars we choose. They might hurt like hell, but they all make us stronger."

She passes the guitar back to Bush, who ventures into the audience and gifts the guitar to an elated little girl.


"All I Wanna Do," starts with Nettles singing while lazily leaning on Bush, who's playing guitar. The video for the song playing behind Nettles, had me envisioning millions of girls making a mass exodus to the ocean with surfboards tucked underarm. In surfing this is bad. Yes, I am a surfing snob.

On "Everyday America," Nettles and Bush throw some Frisbees into the crowd. Audience participation is encouraged with the crowd singing, "whoa oooo whoa," while Nettles sings, "everybody's dreamin' big."

Out of the frying pan and into the fire on "Stay," a song from the other woman's perspective. The energy of the crowd, goes to a deep place. Have they been where this woman is? The atmosphere is emotionally tense and the crowd is rooting for her. The audience is singing without being invited in and at times the crowd is so loud I can't hear Nettles singing. Can anyone say, "Ssssh?" When the woman in the song finally chooses herself and ditches the guy, the crowds' energy surges in emotional triumph. "Free at last," I hear in my head as the tension releases from the grandstands.

By the way, Nettles wrote, "Stay," all by her little ol' self. She is also the first female artist to solo write an Academy of Country Music Awards "Song of the Year," for "Stay." And only the fourth solo writer in the history of the award. You go girl!

"This song is about three girls who go down to Mississippi for a girls' only weekend," says Nettles leading into "Down In Mississippi (And Up To No Good) ."

Jon Bon Jovi, step aside, as Bush, playing the mandolin, more than handles the duet "Who Says You Can't Go Home," with Nettles, playing guitar.

"People come up to us all the time and say you are so lucky to go out on the road and do what you do. You know what I say to that? You're damn right," Nettles says as the lead into "Something More," a song about quittin' your job and following your bliss.

The end is coming. They stepp off the stage and I think out loud, "what song haven't they played?"

"The song they're about to play," says Stefan . He is smart like that.

Sugarland comes back to deafening applause for the encore.

"We're gonna show our age on this one," says Nettles sexily rocking the electric guitar on Def Leopard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me."

"Thank you for a great time. See you on the road," Nettles said blowing the crowd a kiss.

And that is exactly what it was, a great time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice, i can visulize her singing.
nice lips and hips.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter