Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Surfing Hair

Tweet This
A few days ago, the waves were small, so I decided to run at least one errand while Gio attended school. I am proud to say I ran three errands and still managed to go for a walk on the beach. In my world, this is a record.

Normally, I ditch all my errands and just go for a surf, or a walk or a bike ride. Any surfer's only hope of getting anything done is for the waves to be unsurfable. And no real surfer ever wishes for that. Fortunately, Mother Nature schedules down days for us poor folks. And this works if we don't find something else fun to do, which we usually do.

I made a great parental discovery in the check out line during one of my glorious errands that day. The check out guy had an uncanny knack for scaring small children into complete silence. "Want to come home with me," I didn't say knowing my husband would mind even if Check Out Guy could get the kids to be quiet.

Drawn to his superb talent I ask him, "if I bring my kids into the store could you please scare them into silence too?"

No problem, it's all good!" he says happily. "I can give them stickers, too."

"No, they like stickers and if you give them stickers they will like you too," I say not wanting him to diminish all his scariness in one fell swoop.

"So what do y'all do for fun?" he asks.

"Oh well we hang out and I surf a lot," I say.

"You surf?" he asks. "You surf?" he says slowly trying to wrap his brain around the concept. In his head he's thinking, "did she mean to say her husband surfs and she sits on the beach in her g-string bikini watching the kids?" Oh yeah right and I also take pictures of my husband everytime he surfs, too. (Every surfer's wet dream.)

"Yes," I answer for clarification barely holding back my, "what you think 40 year old Moms can't surf or something?" attitude.

"That's tight," he says totally pulling me out of my cloud of self defensiveness. Still looking me up and down, not totally convinced I surf he adds, "well you have the hair for it."



Me and my surfing hair.


I spent the rest of the day wondering wilco tango foxtrot (WTF), "well you have the hair for it," meant. Was my hair messy and unkempt? Blonde? Did I have sand in my hair? Did I have Jeff Spiccoli hair? Did I have post-surf hair, even though I hadn't actually surfed? Has he seen Kelly Slater's lack of hair lately?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is hilarious!:0

Anonymous said...

WTF???? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Okay Anonymous I think Wilco Tango Foxtrot is the more modern, hip version of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Or at least the alcohol free version of WTF. In the words of Bob Dylan, "Oh the times, they are a changin'."

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter