Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Kite Runner

Tweet This
I probably wouldn't have read "The Kite Runner," if it hadn't been my book club's selection of the month. However, one of the reasons I joined a book club is to step out of my comfort zone. It isn't just about the wine, people. We really do talk about the book, for awhile.

In all fairness to, Khaled Hosseini, the author, he weaves a great tale. "The Kite Runner," is a story of friendship, devotion, loyalty and of course, the opposite of those things, abandonment and betrayal.

But ultimately, it's a story about forgiveness, redemption, and telling the truth. How speaking the truth, truly does set a person free, even though it doesn't change the tragic course of events that transpire.

That being said the backdrop for the story takes place, first, in pre-Taliban Afghanistan. The main character, Amir, eventually flees his lavish life in his homeland, for the United States. He returns to a war torn Afghanistan, 20 years later, to face the ghosts of his past. His homeland, has been raped, plundered and pillaged by the Taliban. Afghanistan had become a country "full of children, without a childhood."

In Afghanistan, children are left fatherless because their fathers have been murdered. Mothers, who aren't allowed to work, are often forced to turn their children over to orphanages, because they cannot provide for their children.

Yes, it's a story that shows both the capacity of humans for cruelty, juxtaposed against our capacity for compassion, loyalty, healing and forgiveness.

"The Kite Runner," is a powerful, tragic story. It was a hard read for me, but one I will never forget.


I heard the book is better than the movie.

6 comments:

Sara said...

You got through it, good for you! Thanks for the review. I think I need happy escapist books for a few more years, myself, until the "baby fog", as you call it, lifts!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yeah agreed! I loved eat love pray for that

Stefan said...

You asked me why I liked this book, and I couldn't quite recall at the time. But I remember now... Thanks for the review. The 3rd paragraph of your review nails it.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

re reading the 3 paragraph. At least we've both read the book........

Laura Tantillo said...

Hey Wendy, fun to hear about your reading of the Kite Runner. I enjoyed the book but loved another by the same writer, A Thousand
Splendid Suns. It is written from woman's perspective. Happy 4th!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah everyone says they liked 1000 Splendid Suns better but I'm not sure I can handle the trauma. Plus I think we have some pretty heavy books scheduled for book club. But maybe I will read it someday. Thanks!!!!!!!!! I'm taking a break reading Twilight right now.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter