Friday, December 24, 2010

Misdosage

Tweet This


If you've ever been in charge of taking, or giving another being, more than one type of medicine, you've asked yourself the question, "Was that the right pill?"

Ever since Vinny has been on two antibiotics I've been asking myself this question nine times a day. I've been giving him doses and checking them thrice.

"It's time for FlaJill right?" I ask Hubby.

"Yeah, FlaJill," answers Hubby.

"Okay, I'm giving him FlaJill," I repeat.

Then I check the pill timer, to verify, I have the correct pill at the correct time. Last, I check the pill schedule. But I figure in two weeks, at nine pills a day, a mistake is inevitable.

"Oh sh*!" exclaims Hubby. "I just gave him Cipro! He's supposed to get FlaJill! What do I do? What do I do?"

"Stop cussing?" I suggest.

Of course, men never listen and he proceeded to drop the F-bomb multiple times.

"Honey, you NEED to calm down," I say, trying not to laugh.

When the only other option is crying, I choose laughter. Sure I know it's serious, but honestly, one mis-dose isn't going to cause a huge problem. Is it?

Even Vinny had to chime in, "Just stop talking. Gio's going to hear you. It's not a big deal. Is it?"

Wanting to help, I say, "Just call the doctor. She can tell you what to do."

And he did, thank goodness.

"Don't worry about it another minute," says the UCSF Doc. "Just skip the 8 o'clock dose of Cipro tonight. And wait an hour to give him the FlaJill."

"So I didn't royally mess up?" asks Hubby.

"Not at all," assures the UCSF Doc.

Phew. Poor Hubby. As if he isn't under enough stress without adding misdosage to his list. And I don't help by laughing at his mishap. But, I'm sure it's better than both of us FREAKING OUT.
 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter