Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Overprah?

Tweet This

At some point I decided I was over Oprah, hence my friend coined the term Overprah. Nowadays, I just don't find myself in front of the TV very often, so until Oprah episodes are on the web I will be Overprah.

It isn't like I have anything against Oprah. No. Actually I respect her, admire her, and I appreciate her bringing consciousness to the masses.
A consciousness that I believe is improving life on planet Earth.

Even after I turned Overprah, I tuned into all of her webinar classes on Eckhart Tolle's book, New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose. So what did I think of the webinar?

While, I personally didn't hear anything I hadn't heard before, I do appreciate being reminded of what's important in life. Also, I was thrilled that 1000s upon 1000s of people were hearing all of this enlightening information for the first time. New folders of consciousness were being created and uploaded full of information about being in the moment. The only place to be as far as I'm concerned.

While I wish that Oprah and Tolle would have stressed more breathing exercises as a tool for being in the NOW, I felt at least they were off to a great start, albeit in my book, it's a kindergarten start.

Incidentally, a lot of the listeners kept getting stuck on the notion that they needed to fit their life's purpose into a "job." Wrong people. In my opinion, our life's purpose is to be ourselves. We can all be ourselves by being in the moment, which allows us to truly get to know ourselves. Getting quiet and going within can be achieved by focusing attention on the moment at hand, whether it's doing the dishes or reading a book to our children, combined with a focus on the breath.

The simplest, free-est and easiest way to achieve oneness with the now is to focus on the in breath, the out breath and the spaces between the in breath and the out breath. The transition spaces between breaths are known as still points. I love feeling my breath as it moves through my body oxygenating each and every cell. When focusing on my breath, as I try to do throughout the day, the world around me becomes brighter and more alive. Ironically, it makes my childrens' screams quieter.

Yogis have known about this secret for years. To me, the best part about Yoga is it gets me in my body and in the moment. Yay. I would venture to say most people are not in their bodies and not in the moment. Most people live in their heads in some past or future moment, instead of the right here and NOW.

True I don't always live in the moment, but when I find myself in the past or the future I can snap back to the present by focusing on breathing.

I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking I'm perfect (or worse that I think I'm perfect) or I never make mistakes because being in the moment doesn't magically make life's problems disappear. But I do feel being in the moment gives me insight into unique ways to work through my problems. I feel being in the moment gives me a direct connection to my intuition and guidance from the divine.

This brings me full circle back to Oprah. Though I don't know her personally, whether you like her or not, she is herself and she is fulfilling her life's purpose. How do I know that? Well, her aura colors are green and violet with a enough yellow thrown in to keep her from getting too serious and stiff.

Green is a mental life color. Folks with green in their aura, when in power, are brilliant, excellent delegators of authority and they tend to be perfectionists, which comes with its own set of issues. Once greens make up their minds on doing something, stopping them is futile, so join in and help, or get out of their way, fast.

Violet on the other hand, is from the emotional aura color family and peeps with this color, when in power, are visionary, inspiring and see the big picture. They also tend to be spiritual. They are here to make life on Earth better for everyone.

Put green and violet together, when in power, this team is unstoppable. These are two of the most powerful aura colors. In other words, the green has the ability to carry out the humongous dream of the violet.

Does this remind anyone of Oprah, besides me? I can answer that with two questions. One, is she inspiring people to make changes for the better in their own lives. Yes! Two, is she making planet Earth a better place. Yes!

So whether you agree with her politics or not, anyone can, at the very least, see her as a role model. For many people she provides a pathway to reaching and living their true potential.

Oprah is a very powerful woman. Sometimes, peeps have a hard time with powerful women. Traditionally, in our society, women have been encouraged to take on the role of nurturer, which has been seen as weak, but make no mistake the role of nurturer is the strength and backbone of any country. Mothers not only nurture their children, but they are teachers, organizers, leaders, artists, financial planners, managers of time and so much more to their children.

However, women who don't fit into the Mommy niche are often called man haters or feminists and worse. And this reminds me of one of my favorite things about Oprah, that it's okay to be a non-traditional woman, which is good for men, women, as well as boys and girls, to see.

So, Oprah isn't perfect, but who is? We can all only aspire to be our imperfect selves. After all, we do learn a lot from our mistakes, don't we?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate this post. For someone who's always lived for the future, events in my life currently have forced me to live and be happy with the current. And... with your help of course, it has made me more conscious of things. So... I had a dream Briar was at Asilomar and he's been gone for two days, does that mean he might show up there?

Anonymous said...

We couldn't agree more. The breath is the single biggest and best way to gain some control in your life. If you're breathing mindfully, you're not agonizing over what didn't get done yesterday, or anxious for a tomorrow that hasn't happened yet. Living each breath puts you squarely in the moment. Stop by our website, www.perfectbreath.com. We've got a ton of great information about breath awareness and using mindful breathing.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter