Thursday, December 11, 2008

"BLECK!"

Tweet This

I'm just now realizing how deprived I was as a child during Christmas.
My kids have two advent calendars each! All four calendars have chocolate in them.

I on the other hand, re-used the same advent calendar year in and year out, and it never had chocolate in it. Happily I might add, because I didn't know any better.

My Mom likes to claim, "I recycled before it was popular." Boy, did she ever.

And if she had gotten me an advent calendar with treats I'm sure they would have been carob candies. Here's what I have to say about carob, "BLECK!"

My Mom was a bit of a health food nut and I suffered the consequences of that throughout my entire childhood.

Ironically, when it comes to my kids, all her health nut fanaticism appears to have gone out the window, because she loves spoiling them with unhealthy treats.

In our house, the word Nana is synonymous with ice cream, M&Ms, and all things junk food. What did I get as a child besides carob? Hmmm? Let me think, there were fruit roll ups and almonds. Oh joy! No, not Almond Joy, just plain old almonds. Not even the candied ones.

I'm pretty sure depriving a child of something leads to adulthood addictions in some cases.

Oh my look at the time! I'm late for my Chocoholic Anonymous meeting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was little my mother started her day out with a Coke and a smoke! You can then imagine a piece of carob never passed my lips but See's candy sure did! Your mom was ahead of the curve and my mom defied it!

Anonymous said...

Just think, if you were NOT deprived as a child, you'd be spoiled and unappreciative. But since you were deprived, you're a well rounded person who doesn't have "entitlement" syndrome.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter