Saturday, December 6, 2008

Happiness is Contagious So Take Off Your Clothes

Tweet This

There was an article published in Friday's New York Times about how if your friends' friends are happy they can affect you in a happy, positive way. Click the link above if you need all the data to believe happiness spreads like wildfire from person to person.

I didn't need a study to know that. In fact, lately I've been noticing when people smile at me, in say the grocery store, I get this warm, happy, fuzzy feeling inside. True, sometimes it's because I just wet my pants, another lovely side effect of natural childbirth, but not always. How do you spell K-E-G-E-L-S?

Lately, I've been surfing with my SFF (surfing friend forever) and she's all smiles and happiness out in a line up full of grumpy, grouchy, stink eye surfers. I've noticed her smiles and our laughter having an impact on the surfing line up, even if it's a confused, "what's so funny? I don't get it?" kind of impact. Which usually makes us laugh more. Then, their stink eyes magically transform into smiles and they start laughing with us, even though they don't quite know what they are laughing at.

And we are so nice we often let the guys think we are talking secretly about them. Of course, sometimes we actually are talking about them. Like, when Not Smith paddles out. Smith is Samantha's boyfriend from Sex in the City(these are not real people), and there's a guy that surfs who looks just like Smith, so we call him Not Smith because he looks like Smith, but he isn't. I don't think he is, anyways?

Smith even shaved his head when Samantha got cancer. But unfortunately, Samantha couldn't deal with the side effects of monogamy and she let him go. Poor Smith.




This Photo is for those people who
don't know who Smith is. Now you do.

One day after my friend paddled in to go to work one surfer dude commented, "wow your friend sure is happy!"

"I know that's why I love surfing with her," I say. Even when she's frozen as a Popsicle and can no longer feel her feet, she's still smiling and laughing."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha omg this blog was sooo funny and entertaining for three reasons. 1: I was featured in it and I feel like a superstar, 2: it has the absolute "eye candy" hunk, AND 3: cause what you say is SOOOO true about happy people. When I was younger it was easy to be happier all the time, but life throws so much crap at you it makes it difficult sometimes. So you gotta try to focus on the positive, find things you enjoy doing (that ISN'T competitive cuz that just ruins is), and laugh your ass off with your friends whenever you find the opportunity to. lets go laughing please.

Jessica said...

I love people like that. I try to go out of my way to be like that myself. Even on my worst day, I try to smile and speak to everyone I see. You can just see their expressions changing. It's a wonderful effect! :)

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter