Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Online Registration

Tweet This

Don't be deceived by this pretty picture.

Somehow, last night, when I sat down to write my blog I remembered, "oh no!" Online school registration, when is it due?"

Online registration sounds fast and easy, right? Wrong. Too bad I realized that when I was half way into the form.

First of all, I spent five minutes trying to figure out how to erase the already filled in information. As it turns out I was just supposed to verify that it was correct, which I did like 25 times, as I was trying to write over it.

"Why won't this work," I say to the computer.

Followed by silence.

Second of all, my frantic filling out of the online registration form woke up my sleeping husband.

"Honey, let me double check that form when you're done," says Now Awake Husband.

Rats! The thought of someone looking over my shoulder checking my work telling me, "you can't put your work phone number in the "home" slot," is irritating.

"Why not?" I argue. "It's the number they are going to use in the school directory and I don't know how to turn the home phone off. I know how to turn off my cell phone."

Third, I got distracted reading through the 19 volunteer opportunities available at Vinny's school. It's the volunteers, and the teachers that make Vinny's school great. It's also the very reason I make it a point to never, ever befriend the Queen of the PTA.

The last thing I want to do is stay up til 2 o'clock in the morning baking cookies for the bake sale. However at this rate, I may be up til 2 AM filling out the online registration form and then, maybe, I will write my blog.

Go ahead say it, "slacker Mom." I own it. I might even make a t-shirt. Actually, I prefer to volunteer in the classroom with my kid, which I didn't do at all this year, due to scheduling conflicts.

"Slacker Mom!" yells the Internet.

Ok, ok. The waves have been good this year, so I haven't made it in to volunteer. But the last two years, the waves were bad, and I volunteered a lot, so I'm kind of taking this year off.

On a more positive note, I am attending the last field trip of the year, next week. I'm really excited the waves are going to be flat......oops.....I mean I'm thrilled the field trip coincides with my schedule.

10 comments:

EndofTired said...

Slacker moms don't even know where the school is.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Um really? So I'm not that bad then. Phew! Besides I'm prone to exaggeration and will say anything to make people laugh.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Actually I think slacker Moms don't know the name of the teacher and I at least know that. Besides it's easy to let go when you know your kid is in good hands .

Unknown said...

Too bad for you...I'm VP of the PTA this year and I've got your number. That will be 300 cookies please!!!

Unknown said...

Too bad for you...I'm VP of the PTA this year and I've got your number. That will be 300 cookies please!!!

Sara said...

I have to do that online form and now you've got me scared!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Mary I'm changing my number. Are you serious about this I can help. Maybe it isn't too late for you to back out now.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Sara! Nice picture! Um you'll be fine as long as no one is looking over your shoulder. By the way, your school also has 19 volunteer opportunities and you can even make up your own......hmmmmmm? teacher of art classes? Sounds like someone I know.

Erin said...

Dude, it's awesome how you volunteer in Vinny's class whenever you can. It means the world to kids when their parents are involved in their lives. Even when they grow into pimply, snotty teenagers and they tell you that they don't want you around, they really do, so just ignore them! When they are 30 and look back at how you were around, they realize that you really care about being part of their lives.

Keep up the good work--rock star mommy!!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yeah it's weird how schedule wise it just didn't work out, but I'm going on a field trip and we are both very excited.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter