Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"I Had Sex With My Brother"

Tweet This

"I started "The Samurai's Garden" you recommended," I say to a friend at a party.

"Really, do you like it?" she asks. "How far are you?"

"Well,they just went to the leper colony to visit the lady," I answer. "The lady is either the guy's sister or his lover, right?"

"I'm not gonna tell you," she says.

"That's okay," I say. "I know it's one or the other or maybe both."

"No, don't worry it is definitely not both," she says cringing a little on the inside from the incest reference.

"Well, I read Middlesex so either way I'm okay with it," I say.

Middlesex is a very long novel about many things. Most people think of the 2003 Pulitzer Prize winner as a novel about incest. The story starts in Asia Minor, where a brother and sister (of Greek descent) fall in love and immigrate to America under the disguise of marriage, thinking no one will know the difference.

Middlesex covers many topics, including an historical look at the birth of corporate America in Detroit and it's rape and bondage of the world, transgenderism, incest and family drama/trauma.

The story goes through several generations and leads up to the granddaughter's, or was she a grandson?, confused sexuality. As it turns out her mixed parts are the result of her grandparents swimming nude, in too small of a gene pool. The grandmother spent an entire lifetime feeling guilty and responsible, before anything ever went genetically wrong.

Yes, at first, I was put off my the brother and sisterly love, but then I realized sometimes people can't help who they love. It happens all the time.

A few days ago, I came across an article titled, "I had sex with my brother and I don't feel guilty about it." The names were changed and the story was told to the writer by the sister.

The article was interesting, revealing and for some disturbing. And it made me come back to the decision I made while reading "Middlesex," sometimes people can't help who they love.

Like when married people have affairs of the heart and sometimes body, or people with same sex love partners, or a mouse falls in love with a princess. This also causes me to resort to the whole past life explanation.

The past life explanation is simple in theory, yet complicated in the way it plays out and impossible to prove, maybe. People go through many lifetimes in different bodies, but with the same soul. Souls can come together in more than one lifetime, but they play different roles. In one lifetime, two people can be father and daughter,in the next siblings, in the next best friends, and yet in the next lovers.

What would be the point of that? So the heart can learn compassion and the many ways of love. The sole purpose of our soul, in my opinion, is to learn and master the many aspects of love.

I can't prove that, but it works for me. And it explains a lot about all the various relationships functional and dysfunctional, that happen here on Planet Earth. Sometimes people can't help who they love, and when they fight the love, it makes it more painful and impossible to resolve.

I'm not saying, people should run around following every sexual impulse their body dictates. What I am saying rather than feeling guilty and trying to ignore the feelings, like the grandmother in Middlesex did, relax into it. Let go of guilt. Enjoy the energy. Relax into the feeling by breathing when it comes up, instead of thinking, "I'm definitely going to hell for this."

And remember every relationship with another person is here to teach us something about ourselves. So it really isn't about the other person in the first place. Learning only ever relates to ourselves anyways. Simple philosophy, but challenging to follow. Good luck!

7 comments:

Sara said...

I can tell I am going to be addicted to your blog, Wendy! I enjoy reading it and now i can't wait to see what you write tomorrow.
P.S. I have nothing whatsoever to say to you about surfing!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Thanks, now I better get to work on tomorrow's blog!

Anonymous said...

wait a sec, so are you saying you're OKAY with people having sex with their relatives? or are you just trying to be positive about "people will do whatever they want to do, so they should stop feeling guilty about it". i'm confused. anyways, i know a guy from work who accidentally married his cousin (his great-grandmas sisters' great-grand daughter), and didn't find out about it until after their 2nd child when one day they both separately got an invitation to a family reunion. and yes they are still married though you'd think their children might be wierd but only the GUY is. haha!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

I am saying sometimes people cannot help who they love because their connection may go beyond human comprehension. Also I think there are times people have feelings and they need to feel the feeling, but not necesarily act on the feelings. It is easy to judge someone else, but maybe impossible to understand the full scope of the situation. :-)

Anonymous said...

Reading is magical. So much to read, and so many lessons. What blessings the written word can provide us.

Noah And Kai said...

I read Middlesex a couple years ago. I liked it enough, but it felt like he really summed everything up in 3 pages at the end in a hurry. What did you think?

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

I don't remember how long ago I read it, but it was long enough to forget it ended abruptly. Maybe there will be a sequel.....

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter