Thursday, January 29, 2009

"It's All Your Fault"

Tweet This

The other day I was grumbling about how unorganized our house is. I'm not a huge fan of cleaning and I have zero skills when it comes to organizing. Though Then when I hurt my shoulder, I could do nothin'.

And that wasn't a problem the first 3-4 weeks, but then things just started to get gross.

I'm not a mathematician, but zero minus nothin' probably equals some sort of negative number. Yes, Internet, we were buried deep in laundry. Laundry of varying levels of cleanliness ranging from piles of clean laundry, to laundry that smells clean and therefore is, and laundry that looks clean upon first inspection, but stinks on the very first whiff.

(Note: The Laundry Smell test requires at least 3 large whiffs of the suspicious apparel. All 3 whiffs must be odor free, and far enough apart that, in theory, the entire garment has been smelt.)

And the laundry wasn't contained safely in one area of the house. No, it had spread throughout our humble abode like a Nerds Gone Wild video on YouTube. Who knew nerds could be so hot?!

Oh yeah, me. I married one.

Although, if you ask him if he's a nerd his answer is, "No, not really." See my point? For the record, I'm a bit of a nerd, although most people probably don't think of me that way. And a lot of my friends are nerds, too. But this isn't a blog about nerds is it?

Not that it's any of my business what other people think of me, because whatever people think of me, is what they think of themselves, anyways. It is what I think of, what they think of me, that's my problem. Right? Yes.

Which is what lead up to all of the laundry being put away, washed and sorted, and not necessarily in that order. It all started with someone saying what they thought of me.

And do you know who that person was, Internet? Yes, you guessed it right. My husband. Here's what he said: "The reason I'm so messy is because you're so messy."

"Oh really?" I asked giving him a chance to take back his judgmental words. "Fine, no problem."

I didn't tell him to take a hike or sleep in a different room. Why would I deprive myself, after all?

In fact, a wave of calm washed over me as I took a deep breath. I felt as serene and calm as lake at dawn when I said, "Could you please vacuum the house? Oh and after that could you.....and one more thing, please...........Thanks."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The reason I'm so messy is because you're so messy." - did this come from one of those How-To books "What to Tell Your Wife When She's Naggin' You for Dummies" cause my husband said the exact same thing to me?

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

They are all part of the Husband network. Each person in the network is only two steps away from any other person in the network. But all peeps' in the network brains are connected to the same database. We need a new database.

Sara said...

I have felt that same sense of calm. Thank you for this blog.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yes breathing actually works! And I love it that you keep reminding me because I forget too. Thanks for the shout out on FB. That was sweet. Can't wait for my ocean painting. You Rock!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter