Thursday, August 20, 2009

Beat the Recession Salad Dressing

Tweet This


Salad dressing is expensive, and I always seem to run out of it. I never thought I could create my own yummy salad dressing, but one day, I was out, and I had to make my own.

After a few tries, my salad dressing tasted way better than store bought. In fact, it's so good I want to share my vague recipe with the world.

Note: The only exact measurement is the ratio of olive oil (cold 1st pressed to Trader Giotto's White Balsamic Vinegar, 1:1, otherwise season to taste.

Equal parts Olive Oil to Trader Giotto's White Balsamic Vinegar

For example, 2 Tbsp Olive Oil 2 Giotto's White Balsamic Vinegar

Drip olive oil and vinegar onto washed and cut/torn lettuce. I love Romaine hearts myself.

Add salt

3 dashes of Trader Joe's 21 spice

Squeeze on some lemon juice

Dash of Garlic Powder

A few dabs of Dijon Mustard

Squeeze on some Honey

Toss salad and let marinate 10 minutes, in the fridge if it's warm) (It tastes a million times better if you let the lettuce absorb the dressing). While you're waiting cut up some tomatoes, shred some carrots and mushrooms, or whatever else you have around.

After 10 minutes re-toss salad.

Add veggies and some sunflower seeds or sliced almonds for texture.


Bon Appetit!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds yummy!

do I have to lay out all the ingredients on a gray blanket first?

nana/moma said...

Always made my own salad dressing. You can make it ahead of time and store in frig. My basic ingredients were as follow;
Olive oil
red wine vinegar (not as much as oil)
dry mustard
paprika
garlic powder or fresh
salt,
Then what ever you wanted

Sara said...

If only I had the patience or inclination. Maybe some day...nice recipe!

EndofTired said...

mmm...yummy! Thanks for sharing!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Erin that's a blue blanket and yes of course or it won't work at all.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Hey Mom mine is pretty close.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Sara when I'm tired I don't even bother with the salad dressing.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

You're welcome J it is really good!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter