Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Skater's Fountain of Youth

Tweet This

Santa Cruz Skateboards Keith Meek Pro Model "Slasher"
My very first skateboard!


The other day I was at the beach, debating whether or not to go out because the waves were terrible, when, I saw this skateboard (see above pic) in the back of another surfer's car.

"Oh my gosh! I shriek. "I had that same deck, but in yellow. It was my very first skateboard!"

"Wow, do you think I can check it out?" I ask, trying to hide my drool.

"Sure," he said.

Holding his board made me feel like a grom, young skater, again. I got such a nostalgic charge from holding that skateboard. I took a few pictures, and put the skateboard back in his car, reluctantly.

The guy explained his son had set the skateboard deck up for him, and that it was a reissue. Of course, I knew all about reissues, I have three of them.


The two on left are still in shrink wrap. Anyone
want to trade for an original Slasher deck?


Skateboard companies have been reissuing decks and their original graphics, from the 80s, for old skaters like me. Re-issues are like fountains of youth for us old skaters, making us feel like 20-year-olds. again. And they allow us to forget how hard the ground is, when we fall.

The three re-issues I have don't mean much to me, because I never owned or skated the originals. When I bought them I think I was hoping to stash them, and years later sell them for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Then send my kids to college with the money. Wow, I do have a big yellow aura, don't I? Meaning I'm really a big kid, disguised as a grown up.

I rode my first board, Keith Meek's Pro Model "Slasher," by Santa Cruz Skateboards, into the ground. There were at least 3 inches missing from the nose and tail of the board. But I still had to be convinced by friends to get a new deck. I loved that board.

I got my original Santa Cruz Skateboards Keith Meek "Slasher," deck in 1985 or '86.

My Mom, took me to the Santa Cruz Go Skate shop, that used to be across the street from the Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk, to buy it.

"Pick any skateboard you want," says my Mom.

I couldn't believe it, my body was full of stoke! Any deck, plus trucks and wheels of my choosing! Thanks Mom!!!!!

I didn't take long to pick that board, from the rows of decks, hanging on the skate shop wall. I was probably attracted to its bright yellow color.

Also, that board contained a little bit of my future, part of the graphic is a wave!!!!!!!!!!! I hadn't been on a surfboard up to that point in my life, though I wanted to be. The writing was on the deck wasn't it?! Our Angels speak to us in symbols, we just need to pay close attention, or we'll miss the signs.

Hmmmmmmm................I wonder if I can find one online for sale? Or if anyone wants to make a trade for any of my re-issue decks?

Let's see I have the Natas Kaupas Kitten deck, he was one of my favorite skaters, and I got to skate with him in Venice Beach. Then, there's the Jason Jesse Neptune deck, which I bought because of it's Oceanic affiliation, but I'd rather have his Pray for Me deck, which features the Our Mother Mary.

Lastly, I purchased what I call the Keith Meek Slasher 2 deck, because it was the closest I could get to my first skateboard, at the time. But even back in the 80s, I disliked that board because they left out the wave graphic.

Any traders out there? Shoot me an email. Let's talk!

2 comments:

joyshoesonline said...

Chronique Omega Speedmaster Racing
Dans le blog révision de replique montre révision pour aujourd'hui, je vais faire une révision Omega Speedmaster réplique vidéo. Il s'agit d'une montre qui est un peu similaire à la Breitling Avenger Seawolf quand vous regardez toutes les caractéristiques qu'il a et le design général. Cependant, ce qui rend cette haute qualité fausse montres Omega Speedmaster Racing Chronographe se démarquer, c'est qu'il fait une déclaration instantanément quand vous le portez, car il attrape l'œil beaucoup plus facilement. C'est vraiment un très bon mélange entre sportivité et classe. Alors, allons-y replique montre avec ce réplique Omega montres Speedmaster Racing vidéo examen.

Looks et Feel
Probablement la chose la plus unique que vous verrez sur cette montre dans cette révision Omega Speedmaster réplique vidéo est la position de la fenêtre de date. C'est très inhabituel et différent. La fenêtre de date est en fait située dans le chronographe inférieur replique montres de 12 heures. Même si c'est quelque chose qui sépare cette montre des autres, il est un peu difficile de dire la date si vous n'avez pas eu l'habitude de voir la fenêtre de date dans cette position. Cette fonctionnalité a replique de montre été fidèlement reproduit dans la fausse version Omega Speedmaster.

Autres caractéristiques replique breitling dignes de mention dans cette révision Omega Speedmaster réplique vidéo sont les trois sous-cadrans; Un pour les secondes, un autre pendant 30 minutes et le dernier pendant des heures. La couronne en acier inoxydable chromé est gravée avec le logo Omega et est flanquée de chaque côté par deux couronnes en acier inoxydable très polies. La lunette est replique montre de luxe également en acier inoxydable et a une belle bague tachymétrique. La montre est 52mm par 44mm avec une couleur de cadran noir bien qu'il y ait des versions blanches aussi bien.

replicahorlogesnederland said...

De Breitling Navitimer is een van de meest iconische horloges replica. Het werd gelanceerd in 1952 en werd gecreëerd voor piloten. Zijn voorganger was de 1942 Chronomat. De eerste Navitimer, de 806, werd spoedig het officiële tijdbeheersinstrument van de Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. De replica breitling Navitimer werd in 1969 opgewaardeerd toen ze overgingen naar de Caliber 11-bewegingen om volledig automatisch te functioneren. Het was in de jaren negentig toen dit model begon te starten en populair werd om uiteindelijk het niveau van populariteit te bereiken dat het vandaag heeft. Er zijn veel modellen verkrijgbaar in de Navitmer imitatie horloges collectie, maar Jay koos voor een van de Breitling replica horloges, ik heb ook de Breitling Navitimer Chronometre 01 46mm. Hier is wat hij erover zegt, samen met een paar opmerkingen van mijzelf.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter