Saturday, November 1, 2008

Friending My Mom

Tweet This
My Mom joined Facebook the other day. I told her I would be her friend, unlike those nasty teenage children who refuse to friend their parents. It isn't as if I am doing anything I wouldn't want her to know about.

Let's face it, I'm forty and married with children I need to friend my Mom. Plus, I actually like her. She may be my only witness to the daily madness I endure at the hands of my family. And that doesn't stop her from spoiling all of them.

She is kind of like a fly on the wall or a neutral observer who says, "Yeah you're totally screwed," but doesn't get all upset about everything. Her nonchalance to the insanity actually calms me down because most of the time she is a drama queen.

"Mom, you're gonna love Facebook," I say. "Everyone is on it."

I am sure in about a week she will have more friends than me, since she is a social butterfly to my shy but creative type. She signed up as I was leaving for work. By the time I came back three hours later, she had five friends.

"Everyone is on Facebook," she says happily. "This is so fun!"

Not only that, but she had done the impossible. She inspired my husband to sign up for Facebook in five minutes. I had been coaxing him to sign up for months without any luck.

"Should I use my real name?" asks Stefan. He wasn't kidding, but I laugh anyways.

He soon discovers his Dad, in Germany beat him to Facebook. Welcome to online social networking honey.

The other day, I updated my Facebook status and saw it was my Mom's birthday. I told her not to make her birthday public. Wait a second, I'm the daughter. I almost forgot. Nevermind.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

and because of stef....i signed up. gaod thing i didn't friend the stephen and stephan i found... seeing his name spelled correctl. that day of signing i found a long lost friend who sent me the pictures of her minime daughter who i always knew would go up to look just like her. i found my cousin in washington and she asked me join her sons and daughters page its fun looking at the pics of people who don't quite look like the mind shot i have of them in highschool; but gee those names are familiar.
thanks to you both for this site; it is a lot of fun and nothing at all like myspace

Anonymous said...

Yep, Do imagine your mom will have more friends. I am only a token facebook member (I think? or is it mySpace) so if I am a member will befriend you as well as your mom. But of course you are not really keeping score:)

Anonymous said...

i wanna be your mom's friend!

Anonymous said...

i dont really get it. how in the world did my tax accountant get on my facebook? LOL

CharmCityChica said...

Haha, awesome! My mom just joined as well. I am 28 and I think it is fantastic. My dad joined as well, only he is taking on the "Gordon Schumway" persona.

Donna said...

that's too funny. My mom blogs because of my sister and me. She now has more readers than either of us. I still have more friends on Facebook, but only because my 20th class renion is coming up next summer so everyone is on there.

5689 said...

zzzzz2018.9.4
off-white clothing
nike air jordan
pandora
christian louboutin shoes
louboutin shoes
jordans
superdry clothing
coach factory outlet
uggs outlet
nike soldes femme

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter