Friday, November 21, 2008

Surfing Nerd

Tweet This

We were on a bike ride and as usual Vinny says, "I have to go to the bathroom." We had just left the house, where he just went to the bathroom. Or at least I told him to go, so we could avoid this very situation.

He is kind of like the opposite of a cat with outdoor privileges that "holds it" till she gets back home to use the litter box. Or maybe he is the same as a male dog, who holds it till he gets outside, where he proceeds to mark his territory.

Fortunately, we were near a room of relief. He went in, while I waited outside.

"Aaaaah!" shouts Vinny.

"What's wrong?" I ask wondering what trauma I will endure today.

"There's a centipede!" he screams back.

"I can handle a mere centipede," I say to myself. Then on second thought I hear a voice in my head ask, "wait, aren't they poisonous?" With trepidation, I go into the bathroom to investigate the creature.

In my pseudo entomologist voice I say, "it doesn't look like a centipede." It didn't look like it had anything close to 100 legs. It had, maybe, 50 legs at the most.

"Well, whatever it is, I'm not touching it," says Vinny. My son is adamantly opposed to pain. Thank goodness. Looks like there won't be any trauma today. Not yet, anyways.

After looking up centipede images on the Internet I came across an image of a millipede, which looked exactly like the critter we saw. Ironically, milli means thousand, but millipedes typically have anywhere from 80 to 400 legs, according to Wikipedia.

I read through the millipede's description and decided this is by far my favorite insect, as they move in a wavelike motion. Now, there's a bug after my own heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make my little brother go to the bathroom 15 minutes before we had to leave because he would always HAPPEN to have to go number two right as we were walking out the door, and then everyone would have to wait for him and we'd all be late. Random tidbit of info. All bugs are gross except ladybugs and butterflies.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter