Wednesday, March 18, 2009

American Idol Top 11

Tweet This
This week American Idol goes country as the top 11 perform songs by members of the Grand Ole Opry, the longest, running live radio show.

Adam Lambert's U2/Cult esque version of "Ring of Fire," rocked. Sorry Cash lovers Adams' version is way sexier than the man in black's version. Hot! Hot! Hot!

Yes, Randy Travis, guys can have man purses and wear nail polish and make up, too. Welcome to the 21st century. If Adam isn't too weird for America, he's taking the whole thing.

Michael Sarver got the job done on, "Ain't Going Down Til the Sun Comes Up." One of the reasons I like country is it's fun, and he made it fun. He made me want get up and dance. ( I would have if I wasn't so tired) The country genre fits him like a glove. He stays.

Allison Iraheta rocked the country song, "Blame It On Your Heart." She made it fun and enunciated the words to the song. I couldn't understand her last week, so that was a huge improvement.

Kris Allen sang "Make You Feel My Love," and made me think, "boy band." He sang fine, but just kind of boring. "Zzzzzzzz." He doesn't have star power, in my opinion, but he stays for now, because I have a feeling the people voting, love boy band.

Lil Rounds sang Martina McBride's "Independence Day." I thought Lil (see that wasn't hard Simon) gave an emotional performance. NAILED! it. Every great country song tells a story that evokes strong emotions, for someone who doesn't really know country, she captured the essence of it.

"Yo Simon, Lil Rounds ain't little." Go big, girl!

Scott MacIntyre performed "Wild Angels," by Martina McBride. I can totally see him in the Christian genre, but performance wise, I'm not feeling. He's a bit flat, and turned out an uninspiring performance. Scott stop singing with your brain and sing with your heart.

Alexis Grace sang Dolly Parton's, "Jolene." She didn't have the confidence she had last week on "Dirty Diana," which is sad because I thought she rocked that song.

Her performance was weak, but hopefully, not so weak she'll get the boot. Alexis needs to forget about what the judges say and be her naughty little self. Be all you can be, don't tone it down, baby.

Danny Gokey performed Carrie Underwood's, "Jesus Take the Wheel." What can I say? He gave an emotional performance, brought tears to my eyes, but it did start out a little too poppy for me. Regardless, he still knocked it out of the park on the second half. He stays. Dude, lose the safari jacket, paaalease.


Anoop Desai sang Willie Nelson's "You Were Always On My Mind,." Wow, when he opens up his voice, he's amazing. But he needs to feel more. Last week I thought he should go, but I'm glad he's still around. He stays for sure.

Megan Joy performed "I Go Out Walking After Midnight," she was pretty good until she sang off tune. She seems so self conscious about her dancing, rightly so, that it's messing with her singing. Girl, please, get a choreographer IF you stay. Notice the big IF. She could get a handicap for the flu and her looks, though.

I had to listen to Matt Giraud's version of Carrie Underwood's, "So Small," twice. His performance was on the Gospel side of things and very soulful, but something was missing for me. However, still a great version of the song. He stays.

So who goes? Who knows?

The bottom three for me were: Megan Joy, Scott MacIntyre, Kris Allen ranked from weakest to weaker to weak.

Will the judges have to do a save tonight? What do you think?

No comments:

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter