Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Beware of the Sugar Bugs!

Tweet This

Iz Has Canday Negless.

Gio went to my bi-annual dental cleaning with me. And I'm so glad he did. One of the things he has always enjoyed is brushing his own teeth. But this mostly entails him sucking the toothpaste off the toothbrush, then he's done. In his mind, toothpaste=dessert.

In my opinion, it just isn't effective dental hygiene to eat while brushing.

"Do you brush your teeth twice a day," asks Mrs. Hygienist.

He nods his head yes.

"Do you let your Mommy help you? she digs a little further.


He nods yes, again, as I roll my eyes and shake my head "No!"

He fails to include all of his resistance to our tandem brushing experience: "No, I can do it myself!"

"Good," says Mrs. Hygienist, as she winds up for the knockout punch. "Because you don't want those sugar bugs to eat your teeth, so you need to let Mommy help you brush."

"Okay," Gio says trembling.

The look on his face: fear. Fear of the sugar bugs, eating his teeth, if he doesn't let me brush. And I would have snapped a picture, but I was restrained in the dental chair. I didn't even know dental restraint was still legal in some states?

Now our tooth brushing experience is joyous. I no longer hear Gio say, "I can brush my own teeth. You don't get a turn!"

And if he does start arguing, I just say, "don't you want me to make sure you get rid of all the sugar bugs?" Which is promptly followed by a head nod.

Where was that dental hygienist two years ago?


The look of complete sugar
satisfaction.


That's what I look for in a necklace: one
that looks and tastes good. They need
to figure out a solution to the soggy string.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Priceless! Yet another one to file away for future reference, maybe. However, my daughter is good about letting us brush her teeth, I think we scared her with cavity stories, a little fear can go along way...

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yes fear a little fear does go along way. Vinny has always been really good about letting us brush his teeth.

JAmen said...

our problem arose when C went to his dentist appointment, heard about the sugar bugs, and then spent the next week asking if what he was eating had sugar in it...and wouldn't eat anything with sugar. we ended up fibbing a bit after a while. too much stuff with sugar (cereal, waffles, bagels, pnut butter).

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yeah I totally a thought about that, the sugar bugs could work against you with some kids. Does every dentist use the sugar bugs?

Dad said...

Ahhhhh!!! Bugs! He actually likes playing with bugs. But I guess inside your mouth is nasty...

Unknown said...

Maybe they could call them "Candy bugs" instead.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter