Monday, March 30, 2009

Earth Hour: The Results Show

Tweet This


Earth Hour, switch off the lights one hour for Earth, was Saturday night, from 8:30p.m. to 9:30p.m.

Of course, we were late.

We didn't make it home until 9:15 because we had gone to see a musical, Wonderland, at a local children's theatre. Oh, and after the play we had to go to the grocery to fetch dog food, because someone forgot we were out. I'm not naming names, but, let's just say it wasn't me.

We figured since we missed 45 minutes of Earth Hour, we would just leave the lights out for the rest of the night.

"No lights for the rest of the night, wah!" whines Vinny. "Daddy can I use your book light?" asks Vinny the bookworm.

Of course, as I tweeted, Vinny thought, "Earth Hour is just a trick to get us into bed early."

Upon entering the house, we had a few FAILS! with lights coming on. First was the garage door. When it opens the light automatically turns on.

"Ahhhhh!" we scream. "Turn it off!"

Stefan saves the night, by switching the light off in a 20 seconds or less. Phew! That was a close one.

We got into the house and of course someone was hungry. Surprisingly, it wasn't Vinny, the eating machine, but Gio.

"I'm hungryyyyyy," he whines. "I want piiiizzaaaaa."

The lights are off, but the oven is on.

Stefan, being the Eagle Scout that he is, fetches a large candle because he says, and I quote, "you're cheating by using a flashlight(Vinny) and a cell phone(Me) for light."

"They have batteries!" exclaims Stefan .

"Well, my cell phone battery is rechargeable so that hardly counts," I say as I tweet on Twitter.

Gio accidentally switched on a few lights, but he's three, so we didn't send him to time out this year.

Vinny was distraught over all the darkness.

"I'm going to bed," Vinny says.

Right then my husband and I knew without speaking a word to each other, Earth Hour is THE solution to all of our bed time woes.

Now, at our house, every night is Earth Hour, with a slightly different schedule. Lights out at 7:30 p.m. We'll be helping ourselves and the planet.





8 comments:

JAmen said...

I love it! C. was terribly bummed that he didn't get to play...he was asleep by 8! He came down in the morning and was asking why the candles were out, why were his favorites so low, and why he didn't get to see any of it. Poor guy. I promised we would do more lights-out when dark didn't come so late anymore. He reluctantly agreed.

And I agree with your Eagle Scout...cell phone light is cheating. But I used the frige light while I poured my juice. Fail. I also had my ass handed to me handily in the Yahtzee Champion of the Universe contest. Fail.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

LOL! Everynight is earth hour here! When do kids say I want to go to bed?

pikaki said...

OOh, I thought they forced us to observe earth hour when the power went out the other day.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

They did force us, right when I didn't want it.Wah!

Anonymous said...

It's extremely sad to see you all act like such sheep, because you actually think you're having an impact on Earth's environment. Oh, and what's the first thing you all do when you realize it would be nice to have some light? Let's burn candles! If you're all so dedicated to saving the planet from mankind's evil, toxic emissions, then how is a candle exempt? I hope you also tried to stay as still as possible the whole time, just so you wouldn't create more carbon dioxide emissions from increased respiration. I wonder how you people can't realize how silly this whole thing is.

Noah And Kai said...

Who is that wacko? Wendy, you are great... don't forget it

Noah And Kai said...

I have to say, too, that whoever it is must be really awesome to publish negativity anonymously!

Dad said...

I can't believe my boys forgot about the dog food. Poor dog's missing out on food for days...

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter