Sunday, April 19, 2009

Book Club: Currently Not Reading: "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"

Tweet This

Several months ago, I was invited to not one, but two! book clubs, within a few days of each other.

For one week, I pondered which club to join. It was a hard decision, so hard in fact, I thought about joining both book clubs. Good thing I decided against that. Especially since, my next meeting is today!, and I'm not even 1/3 of the way through the book.

The second book choice, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," has not been an easy read for me. I was on top of the first book, with my box of Kleenex. At least, I couldn't put that book down. If you've ever read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, you know what I'm talking about, sister.

"Why are you reading this book?" asks Stefan.

"I have to, it's for the book club," I answer sobbing.

Yes the book was a one way emotional roller coaster going down, down, down.........The end was an abrupt baseball bat to my head. A baseball bat I did not see coming.

I read "Kid With Cancer" (it could have been called that, though no one would read it) within a week, and it only took a few more days to come out of the deep dark depression instilled by that book.

"Honey, I'm getting out of bed this time, I promise," I say pulling the covers over my head. Sadness feels worse in the dark, doesn't it?

The book was so emotionally distressing there was a backlash in the book club. A backlash that demanded, "no dying children!" in the next book.

And in this month's book there are no dying children, only dying vegetables and readers dying of boredom. I prefer a box of Kleenex when I read a book. And if the tissues aren't enough I can always get a prescription of antidepressants from the doctor.

4 comments:

pikaki said...

sounds depressing.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

So does a certain someone....

EndofTired said...

Told you...OUR bookclub only reads SHORT books that put you to sleep (only because it was on the HS required reading list EVERY year and you read it 6 times...I mean 4 times already!).

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

LOL! Bookclub was fun! And we even talked about the book.

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter