Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What The Tweet?

Tweet This
We took the bus to Wicked the Musical in San Francisco. Read: My hands were free to update my Facebook status, tweet on Twitter, and text all the way to San Francisco.

All that, plus commercial breaks, with Stefan reading Wicked the Musical script to me, from his book reader.

Every now and then we'd break into song.

"No one mourns the wicked," sings Stefan.

"No one cries they won't return," I sing in response.

My multi-tasking was off the charts.

Our friend, who was meeting us for lunch, but not the show, texts, "let's meet at the cheese cake factory."

"Do they cook the food there or just microwave it?" I text back.

There is something about restaurant chains that remind me of microwaved food, which I'm fully capable of preparing myself.

"It's fabulous and has great views of the city," she texts assuringly.


Looking down on San Francisco's Union
Square from The Cheesecake Factory.

The Cheesecake Factory it is and I update my status.
On the bus to SF first the cheese cake factory then WICKED!


My Facebook friends assure me this is a great choice. I love feedback.

The food was delicious and I walk out of the restaurant singing, "there's a party in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy."

Why is everyone staring at me? I guess it's easier to get away with singing antics when my kids are with me. And now everyone knows the reason I had kids in the first place: to indulge in child like behaviors, while hopefully going unnoticed, too bad I was not wearing my "I'm a parent," costume: the kids.

Next stop Wicked.



Upon entering the theater, the signs read "turn off cell phones." The writing on the wall was easy enough to ignore. But the usher hovering over me, as I was tweeting, was not.

I pretend to have a hard time turning off my phone.

"Darn thing won't switch off without pressing 140 different keys," I say in my best, "that was a twitter joke and you can laugh now" voice.

The usher did not laugh, creating a shrinking effect on my entire being, even my giant aura.

I finish tweeting and turn off my phone:

Inside the orpheum theater waiting for wicked to start! No cell allowed.



During intermission, I made a quick rest stop and bought a green Wicked, t-shirt.

There were times I thought I would die from sheer joy, while watching Wicked. I was only able to sustain life by coaching myself with, "breathe, breathe, breathe." While waiting for intermission to end, I tweet:

wicked is sooooooooo unbelievably good I hope I make it out alive! Glad Fyero is w/ me.


One white haired lady saw me tweeting and asks, "what are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm tweeting," I say. All the while, I'm thinking to myself, "hey, the generation gap can be bridged."

"Well I don't believe in that, so you're talking to the wrong person," she replies without taking a breath. "Oprah had it on her show yesterday, but it's nonsense."

What could I say? Nothing? Not likely.

"I believe you asked me, what I was doing?" I say.

"Hmmmff," she says and walks away. Thank goodness.

I didn't see The Oprah's show on Twitter, but I'm following her tweets. I hope she isn't spouting Twitter as the next spiritual medium to enlightenment. Twitter isn't a religion. It's not something to believe in. It's something to do.

As I've tweeted:

All anyone needs to know about social networking is it's fun and it's going to change the world. Analysis Shmalysis

About five minutes later, as I was updating my Facebook status, the man sitting next to me asks, "how are your kids doing?"

"I have no idea," I answer happily. "But I'm sure they're fine."

Maybe I was a little too happy in the delivery of my answer?

"Can't you check on your kids with that thing?" asks the man's wife, referring to my not an Iphone.

"No," I answer.

Even if I could, why would I? My kids were in good hands, and they were the last thing I was worried about. Believe me, it's a good feeling: having fun, while away from my kids. Besides, I'm not really a parent, I'm just pretending to be one.

"Oh," the wife answers, while looking down her nose.

I had to wonder had she too been watching The Oprah? Is there some new device, or app, that I don't know about? A way to surreptitiously Skype my kids, live, to my phone?

If there is, believe me, I don't want to know about it. Why would anyone want to steal my precious out of sight out of mind moments, I consider that criminally minded and downright evil.

"Wickedness must be punished!"

Currently playing the soundtrack to my life..........Wicked the Musical. Big surprise! And next time I see Wicked I will be traveling by broom, rather tahn bus. Now where is my spell book?

2 comments:

pikaki said...

lol... mmm i spy... the lucky green shirt. next time pick one up for me. :)

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

I won't have to pick it up because next time you're going....

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter