Monday, September 7, 2009

Wardrobe Meltdown

Tweet This

Harry Partner

Gio is a different person everyday. One day he's Dora's cousin Diego. The next day a clone from Stars Wars. The next day a Jedi, who uses the force, The next day a Western Harry Potter.

Generally, we pick clothes from Gio's closet to build costumes. Last week he had a complete melt down because I couldn't get Diego's costume quite right.

"He wears a blue shirt with a pocket!" he wails.

"This is what Diego was wearing for the picture, but he doesn't wear that outfit everyday," I explain rationally. "Do you wear the same clothes everyday?"

"It's not right!" he protests.

There was no use trying to reason with him. He was at the bottom of downward spiral, and he needed time and space to recover his senses. So I waited until later that day to talk to him.

"You need to figure out your own costume from now on," I say. "Mommy doesn't like screaming, and you don't get to scream at her anymore."

Now he's picking out his own clothes for his costumes, thank goodness. But every once and awhile, he still asks me for help.

"I will help you, but if I do, you have to take the clothes I give you, no complaining," I say.

"Okay," says Gio.

Phew.

9 comments:

EndofTired said...

Vinny was right.

This is so great...we haven't had this phase, and I kind of wished we did. But no I see the downside. And since we have a particularly picky child, too...my vicarious living through you is nice!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Happy to oblige

Kim Jay...Everyday said...

I ADORE this post! So sweet! I Thought it was just girls. He is such a smart, creative, little man. Love the heck out of him!

Liz Miller said...

We totally had this phase.

For a long time, MM was the original guy from Blue's Clues wearing a green-on-green long-sleeve polo shirt and chinos. A plain brightly colored shirt and he was a Wiggle. White shirt and red quilted vest? Captain Feathersword. Brown pants with any shirt at all? Jedi.

Have fun with it!

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yes until him I thought it was a girl thing too! There are a lot of differences between boys and girls, but I'm sure there are a lot of similarities such as both are emotional, sensitive and need unconditional love and attention.

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Wow Liz you are an expert if any of those other costumes come up I will refer to your comment.Thanks!!!

Sara said...

Yes, we've been there, too. Great post! And I can totally relate to the screaming, too.

Laura said...

Love the Harry Potter picture ~ so cute your boys are:) I have pictures of Adam in dress up clothes, normally compliments of his sisters as they saw him as their life size doll! Thanks for the reminders of the "good ole days".

wendy@areyoubreathing.com said...

Yeah and y'all remind me of how fast they grow up! Which is very important to know so thank you!

 
Hit CountersFree Hit Counter